40 Twice the Love

POV 3rd person

His heart was pounding like the sound of thunder before a lightning strike. This time he knew that he found it, the secret base of the Nightmare King. Alerted by every crack he jumped in the air and turned around towards the sound. So far the route was clear and he lowered his staff.

He glanced around him, maybe he should have waited the other Guardians to get to the place before entering. However he was in a rush this time, he had been pulled to two directions a lot lately. On the other hand he loved being the Guardian of Fun and the one of the protectors of childhood. On the other hand he now had something much more personal to protect and cherish. He had a wife and would soon to be a father, maybe too soon on his mind. He was hurrying the fight with the Nightmare King every day, his mind was a bit distracted. His children could be born any moment now.

Jack sighed when he saw a mouse crawling on the stone floor of a cave. Last time when he encountered Pitch Elsa highly forbid him to go for a fight again. The battle was fierce and left Jack wounded with shredded clothes. This time it cannot happen, he had promised Elsa to be there for her as long as she lives.

Suddenly he heard the sound of hooves clapping the floor. He immediately lifted his staff in front of him and a swirl of ice crystals were circling around it. Taking one step back he spins around, gritting his teeth and scanning the area with his eyes. The walls are not the type that you would expect in a cave, instead of simple rock wall there were bricks like you would see on houses wall.

Jack gasped when shadows were circling around him. He took one step back again and his bare foot hit something. As he turned around he saw that it was a single step of a staircase and as he watched up he saw them leading somewhere.

The shadows were now horses, the most black you could imagine. They were almost sucking all the little light from the cave, making it even more darker. Their eyes were glowing red and their breath made fumes in the cold and damp air in the cave. There was more than ten approaching him.

Jack called the power of wind and aimed one of the horses, the ones from your worst nightmare. They get more power from your fears and insecure feelings. Jack knew that, he tried to gather his courage. With a blast he vaporized one of the nightmare horses but after that came two more. Jack took a step back after each hit. He was feeling afraid, afraid of not seeing Elsa again.

WHOOSH.

Jack turned around in the middle of staircase and hold his aching side. The warm and sticky blood was dripping from between his fingers and he grunted. Now he could care less from the horses. He was looking eye to eye to his worst enemy. Pitch Black.

When Jack had heard the black nightmare arrow splitting the air he had made a quick movement to avoid the hit. He barely managed to dodge it and now it only scratched him. One inch more to the left and he knew that he would have ended up like Sandy years ago. Turning black and dark inside, vanishing from the world and perhaps not coming back.

Jack gritted his teeth, “PITCH!” He yelled in angry tone and jumped to air. He flew fast and a blue lightning strike left from his staff and towards Pitch. Pitch laughed in evil way when the lightning hit the wall behind of him and making an explosion. Jack stared in misbelieve, how he managed to dodge his hit?

“I am more powerful Jack, while you were away I have been sneaky.. slowly gathering strength with minor nightmares,” Pitch smiled and caused Jack to shiver. “Dear Jack, soon all you know will end.. for me and you it is just a blink of an eye even though it might take years,” Pitch chuckled while Jack was frowning his eyebrows and clenching his staff. He was ready for a new attack.