Chapter Thirty-Three

So... it's been a few months since the last update... let me say that college has been busy and I had been stuck on this chapter for months! But, here it is!

Jay, Cole, and Zane were spread out around the temple grounds, each in private meetings with their Elemental Ancestors. Rocky, Shard, and Wisp wanted to work with each ninja to unlock and access their cores. The Masters of Earth were near the base of the mountain, the Masters of Ice were inside the temple, and the Masters of Lightning were at the peak. Kai and Flame were in the courtyard, practicing and expanding his use of his Elemental Powers. Lloyd, Garmadon, and Misako sat on the fountain's edge, watching the training from afar.

Kai was surrounded by Stone armor, recently possessed by Flame who had spread out her spirit to three separate armor pieces. The Master of Fire watched each smoke warrior as they circled around him, the clanging of the metal echoed across the courtyard with each step. His hands glowed a soft orange, radiating heat, ready to create a weapon of fire at a moment's decision as his eyes glinted with excitement. Then, one of the warriors charged at him from behind, rusted sword drawn high.

Kai spun on his heels and created a sword of fire, burning brighter than a bonfire, as it clashed against the rusted sword. He grunted and ground his teeth as he skidded backward, digging his heels into the ground for support. Pushing with his weight, he struggled to hold up against the warrior and its sword, holding his hands on the handle of his own sword.

"Remember, Kai, your fire can't harm you," Flame said, her voice echoing from the suits of armor. "It is a part of you, connected to your energy."

Kai spread his hands out, one remained on the handle while the other now rested on the blade, the flames licked and curled around his fingers and palm. To him, it felt like his hand was pushing against a solid object while a mist surrounded it, completely safe for him to touch. With his hands now spread out, he was able to use more force against the armor.

Kai's eyes scanned the area around him; he sensed one warrior to his left, still stalking him, waiting for the right moment to strike, while the third armor was to his right, getting ready to charge. He was planning several steps ahead; ready to roll backward, out of the path of the charging warrior. Bending his knees, weight shifting to the front of his feet, he waited for the right moment.

The warrior barreled forward, thundering closer with its sword held high. Thunk, thunk, thunk, its heavy footsteps grew louder as the distance shortened between them. Wait for it, Kai, he thought, watching it from the corner of his eyes. Wait for it. Wait for it. Now! He leaped backward, kicking off of the first warrior's chest, causing it to stumble backward a step or two. The charging armor crashed into the first one as Kai landed on his feet, ready to strike at the remaining one.

Sitting on the fountain's edge was the Garmadon family; Lloyd, lost to his thoughts, Garmadon, silently critiquing Kai's defensive movements, and Misako, who was wondering which Ninja would finish with their training with their Elemental Masters first. Garmadon's eyes flickered over to his son, noticing his glassy eyes and hunched position, his arms resting on his swinging legs. He nudged his shoulder and murmured, "Are you alright?"

Lloyd blinked, slowly resurfacing from the depths of his thoughts. "Huh? Sorry, Dad, what did you say?"

"I asked if you're alright, you're lost in another world."

His son rubbed the nape of his neck, murmuring, "I just... I feel like I should be doing something. The guys have Flame, Wisp, Shard, and Rocky, and I know I have you and Mom, but I can't... I don't have anyone to help me unlock my abilities if I have any other abilities. Is my power just this green energy? Is that all I am?"

"You are more than your powers," Garmadon said, a protective snap leaked into his voice. "You may not have a guardian like your friends, but you still have us. I'm sure Flame and the others would love to train you as well."