Why me?

As soon as the front door creaked open, Sarah's heart sank. Her mother was home. She could hear her stomping up the stairs and slamming doors as she went. Sarah knew that it was going to be another long, painful night.

Her mother burst into her bedroom without knocking, yelling about how messy the room was. Sarah tried to explain that she had been studying all day and hadn't had a chance to tidy up yet, but her mother wasn't interested in hearing it.

"You're lazy and useless!" she screamed, grabbing Sarah by the arm and pulling her out of bed. "I don't know why I bother keeping you around. You're nothing but a burden."

Sarah tried to pull away, but her mother's grip was too strong. She was dragged into the hallway, where her mother continued to berate her.

"You're lucky I even bother to feed you," she spat. "You don't deserve anything from me."

Sarah could feel tears welling up in her eyes, but she refused to let her mother see her cry. She knew that would only make things worse.

Suddenly, her mother's hand shot out and slapped her across the face. Sarah stumbled backwards, shocked and in pain. She couldn't believe her mother had hit her.

"You're lucky that's all you got," her mother snarled. "If you don't shape up, I'll give you something to really cry about."

Sarah knew that her mother wasn't kidding. She had experienced worse abuse before, and she was terrified of what might happen if she didn't do exactly as her mother said.

For the rest of the night, Sarah was subjected to a barrage of insults and physical violence. Her mother screamed at her, hit her, and threatened her, all while telling her that she was worthless and unlovable.

Sarah didn't know how much longer she could take it. She felt like she was trapped in a never-ending nightmare, with no escape in sight. All she wanted was to be loved and accepted, but she knew that would never happen as long as her mother was in charge.

As she lay in bed that night, bruised and broken, Sarah made a promise to herself. She would find a way to escape this abusive household, no matter what it took. She knew it wouldn't be easy, but she refused to let her mother's abuse define her. She was determined to find a way to live a better life, one where she was valued and respected for who she was.

The next morning, Sarah's mother acted as if nothing had happened. She went about her day, pretending to be a loving and caring parent, and Sarah knew better than to bring up the events of the previous night.

But inside, Sarah was seething with anger and frustration. She knew that her mother's abuse was not normal, and she couldn't understand why no one seemed to notice or care.

At school, Sarah tried her best to focus on her studies, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. She watched as her classmates laughed and joked with their parents, and she felt a pang of envy.

Why couldn't her life be like that? Why did she have to live in a constant state of fear and anxiety?

As the days turned into weeks, Sarah found herself sinking deeper and deeper into despair. She began to withdraw from her friends and classmates, afraid to let anyone see the pain and sadness that she carried inside.

Her grades began to slip, and her teachers expressed concern about her behavior. But Sarah couldn't bring herself to tell anyone what was really going on at home. She was too afraid of the consequences.

One day, after a particularly brutal fight with her mother, Sarah decided that she couldn't take it anymore. She packed a small bag with some clothes and essentials and snuck out of the house in the middle of the night.

For the first time in a long time, Sarah felt a glimmer of hope. She didn't know where she was going, but she knew that anything was better than staying in that house with her abusive mother.

As she walked down the street, her heart pounding with fear and excitement, Sarah realized that she was finally taking control of her life. She was no longer a victim of her mother's abuse. She was free.

But the road ahead would not be easy. Sarah knew that she would face many challenges in the days and weeks to come. But she also knew that she had the strength and resilience to overcome them.

For the first time in a long time, Sarah felt a sense of pride and self-respect. She was determined to make a better life for herself, one where she was free from abuse and able to live on her own terms.