Mother Dearest

Sarah had not seen her mother in many years, and she thought she had put the painful memories of her past behind her. But one day, while running errands in town, Sarah saw her mother walking towards her on the street. Her heart began to race, and she felt a familiar knot forming in her stomach.

She wanted to run in the opposite direction and hide, but she knew that she couldn't. She took a deep breath and tried to compose herself as her mother approached her.

"Sarah, is that really you?" her mother said, with a fake smile on her face.

Sarah felt like she was about to faint. She wanted to scream at her mother for all the pain and trauma she had caused her, but her voice was caught in her throat.

After what felt like an eternity, her mother spoke again. "It's been so long since I last saw you. How have you been?"

Sarah was shaking with fear and anger, but she managed to force out a response. "I'm fine, thank you," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Her mother's eyes roamed over her, taking in her appearance. "You look good. Have you lost weight?"

Sarah felt a wave of disgust wash over her. Her mother had always been critical of her weight and appearance, even when she was a child. She knew that she needed to get away from her mother as quickly as possible, but she didn't know how to do it without causing a scene.

As if sensing her discomfort, her mother spoke again. "Well, it was nice to see you, Sarah. Maybe we can catch up sometime soon."

Sarah nodded, feeling trapped and helpless. As her mother walked away, she felt a flood of emotions overwhelm her. She was angry, hurt, and scared all at the same time.

For days after the encounter, Sarah couldn't stop thinking about her mother. She felt like all the progress she had made in her healing journey had been undone by that brief interaction.

She started having nightmares again, and her anxiety and depression worsened. She felt like she was back in the same place she was when she was a child, living in constant fear of her mother's abuse.

Sarah knew that she needed help to deal with her feelings and to move past the encounter with her mother. She started seeing a therapist again, and she confided in Mark about what had happened.

Mark was supportive and understanding, and he encouraged Sarah to focus on her own healing and well-being. He reminded her that she was strong and resilient, and that she had overcome so much in her life.

With time and therapy, Sarah began to feel more like herself again. She learned to accept that her mother would always be a part of her past, but that she didn't have to let her control her present or her future.

She also realized that she had a support system of people who loved her and wanted to see her thrive. Mark, her therapist, and her friends all rallied around her, offering their love and support.

While the encounter with her mother had been painful and triggering, it also served as a reminder of how far Sarah had come in her healing journey. She was no longer the scared and helpless child she once was. She was a survivor, and she was determined to live a happy and fulfilling life, free from the abuse and trauma of her past.