Chapter Six

Calista

The party hardly began an hour ago, but the club was packed tight with people from all over the city. Bodies were on top of other bodies, their different sweats and perfumes infusing together viciously. The wall-watchers stood shoulder to shoulder and those on the floor were practically dancing on top of each other. I smiled to myself as I observed the crowd, grateful for the working air conditioner. Even with a club full of sweaty bodies, it was still nice and cool.

I felt Liviana's fingers wrap around my forearm and pull me close to her. "I'm going to go get something to drink, do you want anything?"

I first thought to decline, but the flash of the day's events proved I should decide otherwise. "Just a rum and coke, mademoiselle."

Searching through the crowd I saw my friends Lana and Ray in the middle of the dance floor. I stood in the circle that had formed around them and laughed. I crossed my arms over my chest and grinned as I watched them bump and grind on one another. It was ashamed they wouldn't date. They completed each other.

Lana's eyes caught mine first, "Calista! You made it!" Her high-pitched squeal hurt my ears even over the blaring music in the background.

I laughed and wrapped my arms around her small, stocky frame. "You know damn well Isaac would've dragged me by my hair kicking and screaming if I tried not to come."

Ray walked up beaming ear to ear, "Either that or try to disown you." He reached his arms around my shoulders and gave me a tight squeeze.

We finessed our way through the crowded dance floor to our usual spot in the corner of the room underneath the balcony.

Lana rolled her eyes sarcastically while scooting in her seat, "I'd like to see him try! He's absolutely infatuated with you."

I groaned sliding in the booth next to Ray, "Now you're sounding like Liviana. She swears up and down he's in love with me!" I watched their uncomfortable body language and groaned again. "Not you guys too! Oh, c'mon on you guys, seriously?!"

Ray held his hands up in surrender, "Look, all I'm saying is- if he had to choose between you and any other woman in this world, Isaac would most definitely, without a single doubt, even betting my top and bottom dollar, choose you."

I rolled my eyes; it must've been nice to be unaware of the fact that he was off limits. "I'm tryna tell y'all-,"

"Alright Calista, we get it!" Lana barked, irritability. "We know you have this impossible belief that Isaac feels nothing for you. For someone who is so smart, you are completely oblivious to who really loves and cares for you and who doesn't. Maybe all them shiny ass rings on ya fingers cause you to miss what's in front of you. You seem to lack in the romantic intuition section of life nowadays, probably got something to do with all the tattoo ink running through ya veins."

She was throwing shade at Michael, and I knew it. Now that we weren't together, I felt no need in feigning perfection or hiding my unhappiness with him.

"We broke up, LanLan." I stared into the busy crowd looking at nothing.

I could feel their prying eyes assessing my body language, trying to make sure I was okay before they pressed any further. I loved how empathetic and in tune with each other we all were.

"Good! Shit!" Lana exclaimed loudly. "Bout time, I hated that muthafucka. He's so goddamn square and such a fucking peon. I don't know why you thought he was worth your time. Of all people to run to after-."

"Ahem!" Ray cleared his throat before Lana could continue. This was shade that I never recognized before but seemed so normal to them. Realization hit me hard, Lana and Ray would bring up Sebastian in front of me and I never even noticed.