Chapter Three

The Lake of Lost Memories shimmers gloriously as dusk begins to pull the light from the land, the only bright spot left in a mass of monotoned dimness. The sooted rocks and black cliffs beyond it are faint compared to the stark, blues and cerulean waves that lap at the water's edge. It looks out of place, but it does not normally draw visitors. A low hum of magic or destiny clings to the water, and it usually drives travelers astray. There are so few left in this world who understand the significance of it, that it survives in a vague cloud of obscurity with most choosing to veer away from its raw power. The sisters envy its easy concealment. They know that if they were to choose to simply exist out in the open, without hiding themselves, they surely would not be left alone like the lake.

"Put me down next to it!" Syd commands brashly from beneath Lorelle's cloak. She exchanges a forlorn look with Leandra, who nods impatiently. She sits her packs from Willowdown in a huff near the water's edge. "Ah," he coos as the humming from the water gets louder. Leandra straightens and looks around them. Lorelle moves to do the same, often a shadow of her sister's movements.

"Hurry and drink," Leandra commands, startling Lorelle, who was beginning to enjoy the strange serenity that was juxtaposed against the vibrating thrums. "We must be on our way. I do not want to traverse the mountains by night."

A group of birds flies up suddenly from the other side of the lake where they have been scavenging, blurred drops of ink on the dying sky. They move violently as if something were chasing them. The disquiet, it seems, has followed the sisters from Willowdown.

"Hurry," Leandra says again, ignoring Syd's protests and bending down at the edge of the lake. Lorelle comes closer, glancing over shoulder. She cannot help but feel as if someone is watching them. A quick look to the faraway hills and foreboding cliffs shows that there are many places and cracks for someone to hide.

"It has been too long," Syd remarks dreamily. Lorelle catches her sister's eye. Already she can see the whiteness of the pupils fading, replaced by her normal warm brown color. Leandra rolls her changing eyes at Syd's mysticism, even if it warranted. Long ago he told them of how his pages came to be made from the very trees whose roots perhaps still penetrate beneath the water. He still feels some connection to it but normally opts to stay away. This will be their first time in a very long time that he has been near its power.

Lorelle cranes her neck forward, the bronze pin on her cloak digging into her neck, and cups her hands around the lapping water. It is chilly, but she presses on, drawing out as much of it as she can and bringing it to her lips. The coolness persists, sinking down her throat slowly. Beside her, Leandra copies the act.

"I wonder what legend we will write tonight," Lorelle asks. "Where will the story begin?"

"Hang on," Leandra exclaims. She wipes her sleeve across the water dribbling from her chin. "I think I'm getting something." She closes her eyes, her long lashes nearly brushing her cheek. Lorelle smiles knowingly and does the same. Vivid images loom up excitedly but with no real connection to the one before it. Hundreds of soldiers in scarlet armor ride out on monstrous was horses. Two armies clash in great sparks. A battle torn land and the burning of thousands of trees. Their sadness is overwhelmingly bleak, casting grey shadows across the scorched earth. A blaring fire blazes and scorches towns and citadels, killing even more as it goes. Crows circle the dying fields, eager for a feast. Each picture is even more gruesome than the last. Out of the flying images, a single one darts into the forefront. It is a simple visage of a jeweled crown splitting into two equal halves. This will be the beginning of the next secret or legend the sisters must record. They always only get the beginning sent to them from the lake,. The rest will come to them as if they are remembering the actual events much later when they are recording the stories in Syd's pages.