Chapter Nine

The group disperses but gathers upstairs now. The tables and papers have been shoved aside to allow for easy access to the mirror hanging on the wall. On their first glance, the sisters saw nothing remarkable about the rippling glass surrounded by the, chipped aged frame. The gold that encases it is worn and fake looking. Everyone's reflection is pinched and sour, a true likeness of how they all is feeling.

"I think you owe us an explanation," Leandra demands as she is shoved roughly by Maren before the glass. She peers up at her reflection, startled. Mirrors are quite rare. Syd has told them that only a handful remain in today's time. She saw it when she first came to Drakkor's home but shied away from it, not knowing its true power but sensing the surging energy just below the glass.

Her eyes are a deep brown color with a black pupil. It widens and shrinks as she takes in the rest of her appearance, always before only lingering from a distance to look upon her reflection. Her hair is a dirty blond color that falls loosely from the forgotten braid disappearing down her shoulder. A few stray freckles dot her tiny nose and pursed lips. Lorelle is suddenly thrown down beside her. They look at one another through the mirror. Their likeness is amazing, each girl an echo of the one beside them. Here, on their knees, the slight height difference cannot be discerned. Leandra is about an inch taller than her sister when they stand.

They have seen each other for years but never imagined they were always looking at a direct reflection of themselves. Now, they can actually see it laid out before them. They both squint their eyes at the glass at the same time, taking in each tiny detail. The differences start to leap out. Lorelle sports a thin lined scar across the bridge of her nose, between her eyes. Her face is slightly narrower where Leandra's is fuller. Their noses are the same though, as are the lips, cheek bones, and eyes. They have the same hair color, although Lorelle's is straighter, not absorbing the humidity as much as Leandra's does.

They look identical and would remain so if confronted by strangers. But the sisters never would be, and so the differences leap out to them. They take comfort in seeing that they are unique themselves; together and separate.

"I have a plan," Drakkor announces to everyone. Behind them, he appears, fixes his white hair, and waves his hand at the mirror. Jonas comes forth and Leandra and Lorelle peal themselves from the reflection and scoot aside. The man raises his hands and easily lifts the mirror down. He turns it vertical and leans it against the wall. The crooked cast of the glass makes Drakkor's head look extremely long. He moves and hands Jonas Syd. The book mutters something under his breath, but they both ignore it. Hopefully it was a quick insult.

"How did he get a mirror?" Lorelle whispers, but Leandra shakes her head. Drakkor raises his eyebrows, takes one last baffled glance in the mirror, then steps closer to the girls. He kneels before them with cracking knees.

"I've had it for ages," he remarks. "They're quite easy to find if you know where to look."

"Drakkor," Maren scoffs behind him. She is panting heavily, struggling with keeping the Seeker in proximity and brandishing his sword. Jonas gave it to her while they were still downstairs.

Drakkor glances at Maren, favoring her with a quick nod.

With his attention elsewhere, Leandra thinks about grabbing the mage's neck. If she used her body to pin him down, she might be able to strangle him before anyone came close. If Lorelle helped. She wonders if anyone in the room would fight them. Aramis had sought to separate herself and the old man earlier when he'd gone for his throat, but that was when Drakkor had been the one to start. Would they rush to assist the mage if he were caught unawares? How well do the people here really like the man?

The moment passes, and Drakkor stands. He slides his hands to his sides. His fingers twitch nervously. The Seeker is brought before him to stand in front of the mirror. His eyes shimmer with curiosity as he gazes back at himself in it. "This is a special mirror," he whispers, bringing his hand up to rest lightly on the cool reflection.