Chapter 9

Flashback ~ 1 Year Ago (Last Flashback before we get the story moving in the present)

Beatrice POV

Today was the last day of the internship and I'd be taking a flight the day after tomorrow, to go back home. More importantly, today Mr. Pearson would be facing off his primary opponent in a live informal debate. This was crucial, he needed to win. We were wrapping up the interns' office this morning and I couldn't wait for the debate to air at night, Peter and I promised we'd watch it together at home. 

For now, we were looking through his dad's talking points and possible attacks from the opposing party. His opponent, Mr. Corbett was a tough one.

"I think its all covered don't you?" Peter asked looking at his dad's file with facts, figures, arguments, anything he would need tonight.

"Yeah, but there's one thing," I said. "Corbett's going to be talking about subsidies, taxation, debt, and loans for the farming industry, he's trying to appeal to most people part of the sector here."

"And..." urged Peter.

"Well, it's simple really, look at Corbett's background. I mean straight from the suburbs, to UCLA, to Harvard Law, a private law firm and suddenly he cares about the plight of the farming industry?" I asked.

"I know Beatrice, but we don't really have a leg up here. My dad pretty much had the same sort of 'privileged' path that most politicians do. It'll be hypocritical if we call Corbett out on his background." he says.

"That's doesn't mean we can't show just how little he knows," I reply.

"What do you have in mind?" Peter asked with a raised eyebrow.

..

..

..

..

..

It was almost about 7 pm and the debate was about to start. Peter's whole family was with his dad at the debate forum, but Peter and I were at home. He didn't mind because he said his dad had it handled. 

I rushed downstairs in my pajama shorts and a tank top with damp hair as he popped a bowl of popcorn. He smiled as he kept it in the middle of the couch and we both huddled in front of the TV. I switched it on immediately hopping to the channel with the debate. It was about to start in two minutes. I was trying to ignore how close Peter and I were sitting and how I could feel his body heat radiate on to me.

The debate started out fine, with both Mr. Pearson and Corbett on the same footing. Peter's dad took some hits, before giving some back. I was waiting for a specific moment to occur, however, and Peter sensed it as I leaned onto my forearms towards the TV.

And it finally happened.

Corbett said the words I was waiting to hear. "I'm surprised, Tom that your agenda doesn't include absolutely anything about the recent economic decline and lack of employment in the farming industry. Or are you too preoccupied getting both your sons through Harvard."

I felt Peter flinch and instinctively reached out to grab his hand.

Mr. Pearson made a quick recovery. "Right, William so let's talk about this farming agenda of yours. I understand the economics and the theory, but I have a question. Do you know on average how much available storage facilities a farmer has?"

Corbett went silent. 

"I thought so," said Mr. Pearson smiling. "Well, the answer William, is so little that he is forced to sell his produce the next day." He didn't stop there.