Chapter Seven

The flurry of activity within the entranceway following Lady Felicity's arrival made Grace wish for the peace of the cottage. On the other hand, this all was rather exciting, if not taxing. Despite Grace being relieved of her duties, she still lent a hand to both Porter and Mrs Tyler, as they looked quite frazzled with all the activity happening at once.

All the other guests seem to arrive at the same time. First, Lord Barrington entered the house with a hearty greeting to Lord Rutherford and a warm one for Grace.

Remembering him well from when he had captivated Lady Rutherford on the previous visit, Grace responded with unguarded pleasure. "Lord Barrington, what a pleasure it is to see you again. Your trip was tolerable, I trust?"

The elderly gentleman took her proffered hand in both of his, exclaiming. "My dear girl, I can see you are in blooming health. As for my trip, it was tolerable, but just barely. You must have had a significant amount of rain, which would account for the state of the roads."

"I fear it has been rather dreary lately, my lord," Grace replied, smiling at the kindly gentleman. "I just hope the weather holds for our little party."

Only when she turned away to remind Porter which room Lord Barrington was assigned did she take notice of Lord Rutherford's expression. He stared at her with cynicism shining within the deep blue depths of his eyes. She scowled, her brows furrowed in obvious displeasure. Honestly, she could not think as to what she had ever done to deserve such hostility from the man. The conversation she accidentally overheard in the library still prickled. Surely, he did not think she was after Lord Barrington's fortune as well, even after he found out she was now an heiress thanks to her kind, dear aunt. If he were not a marquess, she would surely slap his sanctimonious face.

Her enjoyment now dimmed quite considerably, she nonetheless continued with her self-appointed tasks with brisk capability. Next to enter the vast entrance hall was Miss Winters, the elderly spinster who was a dear friend of Lady Rutherford's and one she would not do without. Grace had met her on many of the outings to the village in which she accompanied her ladyship and liked her very much. Lady Rutherford needed friends her own age and being the kind-hearted and gentle lady she was, she had many who returned her affections in kind.

Followed close behind by Sir Richard Whetherton, his booming voice announcing his arrival before one saw him. From first glance, Grace liked this portly gentleman. He appeared agreeable even when he did not smile, which did not happen often. His smile seemed to travel right up to his warm brown eyes. Lord Rutherford finally remembered his manners and introduced Sir Richard to Grace with a graciousness he did not feel.

"What a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, Sir Richard," she said with genuine warmth.

He took her hand and placed a light kiss upon her wrist. "The pleasure is all mine," he said. "I have heard so many good things about you from Barrington, my dear. You quite captivated the old gaffer the last time he visited, and I see he was quite correct in what he said."

"His lordship is too kind with his compliments," she replied, her cheeks becoming a delicate shade of pink. "However, I did find him to be a true gentleman in every sense of the word and you, sir, are no different."

"Ah, now who is too kind with their compliments," he chuckled. "Your mother has certainly found herself a rare jewel in Miss Preston, Rutherford."

"Yes, she has appeared to have charmed my entire household," he replied, dryly.

"Well, I do not find it difficult to be agreeable to people, as long as they offer me the same courtesy," she said.

As soon as the words left her lips, she instantly regretted them. Oh, why could she not think before she spoke? One glance at Lord Rutherford had her offering to show Miss Winters to her room, even though that was no longer her job. Anything would be better than staying with a man she considered overbearing and completely wrong in his assumptions. After that little outburst, she would certainly be out on ear now, aunt or no aunt.