Chapter Seventeen

As Nicholas watched the post chaise bearing Lady Felicity from his life, he felt lighter than he ever thought possible. As if a huge weight had lifted from his shoulders. To stoop to such a level as she had done, he wondered if she did not suffer certain madness. She would have to. Surely, no lady of quality would even consider such a plan. He sincerely hoped she would receive the help she obviously needed from the bosom of her family, although, he did not care one-way or the other whether she did or not. She was now out of his life and he would be forever grateful that circumstances had turned out as they had. Things could quite easily have turned out far worse. A thought Nicholas could not bear to contemplate.

Nicholas turned to walk back in to the house, his thoughts on another more pressing matter. The matter of Squire Pembroke and what would become of him when the law caught up to him. When the constable had arrived the previous day, he seemed dubious that the squire had anything to do with the malicious wounding, preferring to believe it to be hunters, poaching on his lordship's lands. But after quite a bit of explanation, from both himself and Grace, who had insisted on being privy to everything that was discussed, he finally capitulated. After all, a marquess had much more influence than a mere squire. A member of the peerage up against landed gentry. The same rules did not apply.

He wandered into the drawing room, where his mother sat entertaining her friends. He smiled wryly at the thought that he had not done his duty at being a congenial host, leaving his mother to do most of the work. But his interest lay elsewhere, particularly in a violet and white bedroom upstairs. When he first strode in to ascertain her condition, it took his immense willpower not to crawl into bed with her. He did not want to hurt her, and he knew he would if he could not keep his passions in check. The always-present Lady Bedford helped him stifle his urges as well.

Lady Rutherford glanced up at her son's abstracted arrival. She sat on the chaise next to Lord Barrington with Miss Winters and Sir Richard close by. Lady Bedford sat next to Lord Grosvenor on another chaise and Lord Denby sat on a wing chair near the hearth. The only person missing was Lord Markham.

Nicholas glanced around him, frowning at the absence of his friend. He joined the other couples and accepted a cup of tea from his mother.

Sensing her son's mood, his mother sought to put his mind at ease. "Lord Markham said something about leaving for London. I believe he is instructing his valet to pack," she said.

Nicholas gave a start. "I should tell him he does not need to. He is more than welcome to stay for the duration," he said. He enjoyed having his friend here and not in the furious social whirl that seemed to engulf London every Season.

"He said that now Miss Preston is so ill, he should take his leave," Sir Richard boomed. "I believe, I too shall be leaving shortly. I would not want her to decline with our continued presence in the house." He took a bite from a sugared biscuit and settled back into his chair.

"Nonsense, Sir Richard, I shall probably recover quicker if I have welcome company." Grace stood on the threshold of the drawing room, leaning on a footman for support. At seeing the looks of alarm from everyone present, she continued. "I became quite bored in my room all by myself."

Nicholas flew from his chair to her side. Sweeping her up into his arms, he gently deposited her onto a conveniently placed chaise longue. "If you feel the need to wander about the house, please have the courtesy to inform me and I shall convey you wherever you wish to go." He knew he could not forbid her from leaving her bed. By Jove, he could not forbid her to do anything. She would do it anyway, whether he liked it or not.

Lady Rutherford gazed anxiously at Grace, now reclined on the chaise with a pillow behind her head. "Are you sure you are quite alright, my dear?" she asked. "I am sure you shall do better in your bed."