Chapter Eighteen

Lady Bedford was greatly pleased at the appearance of her much-loved niece as they left Grace's bedroom together. Grace wore her lovely ball gown, the gold crepe overskirt nicely accentuating the highlights in her hair. Lady Bedford had presented Grace with a topaz necklace and eardrops earlier, a gift from her late husband, and they proved to be a wonderful success to complete her ensemble.

As they made their way down the stairs to the drawing room, Grace reflected on the previous days with Nicholas. He never left her side. If he was not reading to her, he was telling her how her life would change when they married. In all honesty, she felt a little bit overwhelmed at what she would be required to do when she became the new Marchioness of Rutherford. But, as long as Nicholas was by her side, she could not fail.

When they entered the drawing room, Nicholas strode up to her and she blushed at the warm admiration she saw shining in his eyes. She still felt quite sore from her tumble from her horse, but it was fortunate that the gown covered her bruises and the scar on her arm where the ball grazed it. But as she basked under her betrothed warm regard, she did not even notice. She felt like she was floating three inches above the floor. Come hell or high water, she would not miss her betrothal ball.

"You look like an angel, my love," Nicholas whispered into her ear as he escorted her to her uncle.

Nicholas had persuaded the other guests to stay for the duration and they were all there, gazing at her in admiration. Even Lady Denby and Lady Alicia were present, having arrived the previous day to meet Grace. This night there would be more than a betrothal to celebrate. There would be reconciliation between Grace and her family, something that a month ago she would not have believed possible.

Before any conversation could commence, Porter arrived ceremoniously to announce that dinner awaited them in the dining room. Lady Rutherford led the way on the arm of Lord Barrington, Lady Bedford followed on the arm of Lord Grosvenor, Lord Denby, and Lady Denby followed them and Lady Alicia went in on the arm of Lord Markham. Sir Richard escorted Miss Winters to the table and finally Nicholas escorted his betrothed to their place of honour at the end of the table.

Dinner that night was a lavish affair with many courses and removes and the air around the table held a certain subdued excitement. Grace stared at the trifle sitting before her and wondered how she had achieved the dessert course. All she thought about was the night that stretched out before her. Despite her excitement, she felt slightly apprehensive. Especially since Nicholas and Grace had to open the ball with a solo dance in front of all the people they were expecting. She did not feel confident in her dancing ability.

"You are very quiet, my love," Nicholas said softly. "You have kept pushing the same piece of turkey around your plate during the main course. Not much of the wonderful fare Cook has prepared for this auspicious occasion has seen your mouth. And quite a delectable mouth it is too. Along with the rest of you I might add." He was pleased when she coloured a delightful shade of rose at his last comment as he had designed it to do.

"I am merely nervous, Lord Rutherford," she said. Prudently, she refrained to comment on his most improper conversation for the dinner table. She looked up from her dessert to give him an impish smile.

He was about to rebuke her use of his title when he saw the definite twinkle in her lovely violet eyes. "Minx," was all he said before concentrating on his own dessert. Not that he had much interest in the lovely trifle Cook had prepared. He had other things on his mind. Such as, she would soon be The Most Honourable Lady Grace Thorpe, Marchioness of Rutherford. But most importantly, she would be his wife. Reverend Mapplethorpe was to read the first of the banns this coming Sunday and once again, he mentally kicked himself that he had not secured a special licence instead. It would cost him, but she was worth every guinea he lavished on her.