Chapter Fifteen

The following morning, Grace rode next to Lord Rutherford, watching wispy white clouds float slowly through a cerulean sky. The heavy rain from the previous day had completely disappeared, leaving warm sunlight dappling throughout the heavy wood on either side of the lane. Puddles of water lay all over the ground. No doubt, the gardens would benefit from such a vigorous wetting, although the roads fared much better than expected.

"You have not thought of a name for the grey mare yet, Grace," he said. "Or at least you have not informed me."

As they walked sedately along the lane, the scent of lavender she wore wafted past his nose on the breeze, intoxicating each of his senses. How he loved the scent of lavender. Yardley would welcome his patronage, he mused. They made such wonderful lavender scents. He decided he would send to London for a bottle as a betrothal present for his beloved. This thought brought a pleased smile to his face.

"I must confess I have not, Nicholas," she said, blushing at the pleased smile he gave her. Obviously, it was for the use of his first name without him asking. "May I ask what yours is called? It might inspire me."

"Apollo," he said with a roguish grin. "I have only just bought him, and your talk of Greek Mythology gave me the notion."

"Ah, Artemis's brother. How very clever of you," she said laughing. She was beginning to enjoy the leisurely ride to the village. No matter if it puzzled her why they were going separately. The rest of the party were to join them later for luncheon at the Horse and Hound, the best inn in town.

"You have not told me of the origins of amethyst yet," he said. "You did promise."

"There are many different versions of the myth, but this one is my favourite," she said, her eyes shining with pleasure. "Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, pursued a chaste maiden named Amethyst, who prayed to the gods to protect her chastity. To save her, the goddess Artemis turned Amethyst into a statue of gleaming white quartz. Dionysus, in an act of contrition, poured wine over the statue in tribute, which stained it purple and created the first violet Amethyst." She blushed as she realised the subject matter of her explanation should not be voiced in front of a gentleman.

"Ah, Artemis once again," he said. "I am impressed at your vast knowledge."

"My father was a learned man," she said. "His library was filled with worthy tomes that I would spend hours reading. I particularly liked the ones on history. My mother always chastised me due to lack of light, often reading well into the night. Unfortunately, I was unable to take them with me when I moved out of the rectory to make way for the new family."

Her face assumed a sorrowful expression as her thoughts turned back in time. It had hurt that she was not able bring them with her when she moved as they were the only things that held any value to her, apart from the painting. Not in monetary value, but they reminded her of her father. As the time passed since their deaths, the memories she held within her heart dimmed gradually, until eventually they would be gone forever.

"I am sorry, my love," Nicholas said softly. As he watched the multitude of emotions flashing across her lovely face, he vowed that no one would ever hurt her again.

"May I ask you something?" she asked suddenly. "You may tell me to mind my own business."

"Of course," he said. "Ask me anything you wish. I asked you many questions that I ought not to have when I first met you."

She flashed him a brief smile. "This has been bothering me for quite some time," she said slowly. "When I overhead you talking with Lord Markham in the library. He said to put the past behind you. What did he mean by that?" She looked at him, pleading for him to forgive her if he thought her question too impertinent.