chapter 28

Maybe Donovan could ask Sam's brother about these things. He held his face, embarrassed and annoyed. If Alister had been more discreet about trying to kidnap Lacey-- or even just coming to the house to talk, Sam would have never been hurt.

They would have never needed to kidnap her.

Never needed to do damage control.

Never would have upticked the amount of Metahuman arrests, leading to her brother getting shot and detained for days in a hospital that had no qualms about conducting experiments on their inhabitants.

Donovan was greeted by Luna, eyes narrowed, then sighing.

She blew into her hand, a shadaowy form springing forth. A bat with big ears and wide shiny eyes, looked at Donovan. It squeaked, then fluttered from her grasp to the door. It pushed it closed, then melted into the wood, forming a black symbol that locked the door from the inside.

"You'll be working with Mercedes and Michael," she said, red eyes scanning his form. "You get a copy of the reports they do, but radio silence for the time being."

He perked a brow as the woman walked from around her desk to inspect his uniform. "I didn't like arresting your wife like that, or putting her through that bullshit of a trial," she said softly, "But if I did not, the higher ups would have demanded she stripped of her powers and sterilized."

Donovan felt his throat tighten. For an Alpha, paternal heirs were an important asset. Especially for Dragons, they were sparce as it was.

"Which brings me to those files-- we think there's a mole in the organization. And we're backtracking everything to get some answers." Luna leaned back, settling to have her rump rest on her dest. "Which I must regret to tell you, we had used you as bait for this round. I had no intention of them getting that close--"

He snarled, and swung out, grabbing Luna's neck tie. A silky fabric that was in a pristine Winston knot. "You did what."

"Sam already had a file on her from Sandexon. Linden already had a file on him from Sandexon. The last physical doctor's visit was pediactrics-- more than twelve years ago." Luna said carefully, gaze unwavering. "Linden's file had been altered less than five years ago."

She reached up and slipped herself from Donovan's grasp, her fingers cold to the touch. "If I had known, they had the ability to cast influence, we would have adopted Sam into an influential family to install wards. Meta-humans don't have the cognitive ability to do telelpathy or telekinetic abillities without blowing out their frontal lobe at the age of fifteen or coming completely unhinged in their twenties."

"So they have... A mage in their employ?" Donovan took a step back.

"More than likely, a witch, because they were able to set imps in your room." Luna tilted her head some, "And that fucks up everything when would your little mate have ever crossed paths with a witch?"

Donovan blinked, feeling sick to his stomach. Sam had a life before him, and her own crosses to bare. And him bringing her into his life merely made her another target.

"They weren't after Sam," Luna said after a long moment, gnawing her lip some. "They were targetting you."

Donovan frowned, shaking his head. He didn't want to play politics. He didn't want to go back into the fray of territory wars and angry Alphas wanting to trade warriors or intermarry to strengthen their ranks. He just wanted his family safe. He just wanted Sam to be loved.

Luna held out a folder to him. "Your certifications and some other small details my daughter probably didn't tell you the first time."

"Jazmyn? Hale?" he accepted the near documents, sliding them into his satchel. He ran his fingers through his barely shoulder length auburn hair. This Heath disguise was... ugh.