Chapter 6

I turned over, rolling over in the bed I was laying in. The sheets were smooth, and the pillows were plush. As I rolled over onto my stomach, slipping my arm under to feel the cool side of the pillow, I felt a sharp tug on my elbow. I swatted at it, then tried to slip back into sleep. My eyes opened, and I lifted my arm up to stare at what was hurting me.

It was a needle, held in place by medical tape, attached to an IV tube that led to a hanging bag at the headboard of my bed. I stared at it, a frown creasing my brow. It took me quite a bit of time for my brain to put together what I was seeing.

"....This is not my bed," my tongue felt like sand paper, I put down my arm, lying prone to the bed. I smacked my lips, blinked my eyes and felt around the covers. There had to be a remote for this, if I was in a hospital there was always a remote for the television, summon nurses or adjust the bed. I needed to sit up, look around.

Someone had me put in a hospital. I could not find the remote, so I forced myself to sit, moving pillows around to prop myself up. I spotted the IV bag, a tray of sterile instruments, and a few ampules of clear fluid. I reached over and began reading labels. Pain killers. Two of the ampules were snapped open, their contents empty with a capped syringe next to it. I looked around the bed, checking how many IVs were attached to my body. I had a finger clip, wireless, on the index finger of my right hand, a machine beeped away to the left.

I felt my chest. The cotton gown felt big on me. I patted myself down other needles and was a bit grossed out to find a catheter. I made a face, and went about removing my IV from my arm. Unlike whatever movie or television you watch, the removal of needles and intravenous devices is a delicate thing.

I took about four medical classes during college, Pharmacology and Pharma Tech were very informative. I held out my arm, and took out the IV. I found some gauze and band-aids on the tray that held the ampules and tools, and covered the mark in my elbow. I sat there, and wiggled and flexed my toes. Circulation came back little by little. After a few minutes, I got up and moved to the small bathroom (Catheter and waste bag at hand) in my room.

At this point was when I realized I wasn't in a hospital. This was a master bathroom, a black granite counter top, slate flooring and golden trim. A full tub, and a shower stall that was fully furnished. Soaps, shampoos, lotions, fluffy towels-- someone had kidnapped me.

With steady hands, I was able to disengage the catheter and bag. Feeling came back to my limbs and I dared to look up at the mirror.

My face was bruised, and my arms and legs looked just as bad. Minor scrapes and scabbing areas-- I yanked up the gown and looked at my hip. I remember being grabbed by that dragon, and being thrown up repeatedly.

"I shouldn't even be walking." I mumbled, studying my entire left hip and thigh, the area purple and green with bruises. "....Was my hip broken or did my femur...." I ran my fingers delicately over the bruises, prodding them and poking the area. It hurt like hell, but I could move. I looked at the bathroom, the shower stall and bathtub tempted me, but holy hell.

"Bird? No, I need open air for that to work." I mumbled, sliding the gown off and standing in the bathroom. "Mouse? They could have a cat. Maybe something canine.... or a porcupine? They couldn't touch me if I was a porcupine." I held my head, eyes shut tight. "How long was I out... oh god where is my shit? MY WALLET AND CELLPHONE ARE AT THE SCHOOL.... Gotta stay calm Sam, gotta chill..."

Yes, I do have monologues and talk to myself. It helps get my thoughts sorted out and organized so I can plan my next move. If I chose a dog, I could sniff myself home and put up a good bluff of a fight if need be. Or get caught by the pound. If I did a bird, I could get home faster, but it mattered about the size because I could get eaten by a bigger bird. I took a chance, and thought about something moderately small. A housecat, something of the mane coon variety.