Chapter 3

(chapter 1 from the point of view of the Malindas)

"We'll go in and finish up the paperwork." Donovan said, rubbing his brow. The move had taken alot of energy from him. Lacey sat in the backseat, playing with her phone and texting her friends. Brandon sat shot gun, reading a book on the history of the city of Detroit. Hopefully, the stay here won't be short like the last time.

"So when does Bran start school?" Lacey drank a caprisun. Her dark brown hair looked nice, trimmed in layers to let her natural highlights show through. Her green eyes looked highlighted with her sun kissed honey-olive skin and almond eyes. She tanned better than Donovan, whose skin barely bronzed in the bright sun. Looking at her brothers from the back seat, she slouched a bit.

"My classes start next week." he said, not looking up from his book. He wore his sport's jacket from his favorite school, deep dark blue with white sleeves and a shark on the back and breast. His black hair was spiked up front, a full looking ducktail that wasn't obnoxious(as his mother deemed appropriate). His own skin had a healthy athletic glow to it from swimming outdoors all summer. "So why'd we come here?"

Donovan was the fairest, but it was obvious they were siblings by the structure of their faces. Same lips, same eyes, brow and noses. Donovan had black hair that he kept long, and either tied back in a low pony tail or a need fishtail braid. A 'Warrior's plait' his father had said when he started growing his hair back. He had a strong jaw, and was close to six feet tall, broad chested, muscular and well dressed. The man had no intention of staying in this city more than was necessary.

"My job. The were hospital openings here, and three other places. This one has a nice schooling system." he said calmly. Donovan parked in a shaded area and climbed out.

Lacey saw some of her new friends, waving and getting in line before the doors opened. She hugged both her brothers than sped off.

Donovan straightened out his jacket, then his tie. He would be going to the hospital after this, and then back at the school at four to pick up Lacey. Brandon followed, a step or two behind Donovan's own moves.

"....Do we really need to walk around with these.... humans?" Brandon growled beneath his breath. "I hate moving around. I liked the last place."

"I'd rather not face a rogue just for a patch of land." Donovan looked over his shoulder at his brother. "Besides. You and Lacey need to at least finish highschool."

"We could totally take down that scumbag." he huffed, clenching his fists, smalls scales blinking on the back of his hands and his teeth looked sharp. Donovan looked at him, then reached out and pat his cheek, more of a soft slap.

"Don't be ridiculous. It's only a short time. Three months at most." he turned to continue walking. Under his arm he had all of Lacey's transcripts and medical inoculations. He did not like how he and his family had to run from a lowly rogue merely based on his brute strength and size. Then there was the fact the authorities at be would rather give their family's land and home to the vile man so not to deal with a called out challenge.

Once the sanction went through, they would leave. No ifs, ands or buts. Brandon sat down in the visitor area while Donovan went in to finish the paperwork. It hadn't taken much time, so they could maybe even fit in lunch after the hospital.

"Where do you want to eat?" Donovan asked, walking out and moving to grip the door to the outside.

"I'm thinking Italian... craving some lasagna... something with pasta--" Brandon started.

He pulled and it was only a second. A woman on the other side had been mumbling to herself and looked up to make eye contact. She had the darkest eyes he had ever seen, surrounded by thick black lashes.