chapter seven,

chapter seven. the world turns bluer and bluer

 the world turns bluer and bluer

summer

THE SKY IS BLUE, JUST AS MICHAEL'S EYES and Eve is walking right under it as she walks to Michael too. The irony is there, as obvious as the fact that summer is getting longer with its heat making Eve wear her uniform's coat tied in her waist and even taking her tie out, having the piece of silk playing between her fingers as she moves along, humming at the same time an old lullaby that Sister Valerie used to sing for her when she couldn't sleep and Ariel was not around to ask for him-Eve's life is slowly becoming bluer and bluer, but she hadn't noticed it yet. After all, it's only been two weeks since her visits to Michael started, but the blue is already drowning her as she had predicted; predicted but not expected. It is not her fault that Michael looks so human, with his golden curls and big, blue eyes-she didn't ask for Satan's son to be like almost an angel in appearance, and she knows how evil he is in the inside, but she is only a silly girl who might think she could have gotten worse with a creature like Michael but yet he is only him.

Eve tells herself that it's Ariel's fault and his constant testing with her new powers or the fact that she has started to have dreams more vivid than the usual, never to Michael Langdon and his blue sky eyes because she doesn't like thinking on him. Then, she ignores the color of the sky and the irony that knits on it-she ignores the fact that the weather of summer is killing the one of autumn, and that maybe, she has done something about it without noticing it.

Oh, sweet Eve only wonders why autumn is taking more than expected, as the weather around her becomes warmer and warmer. Where are the savage air and the colors of orange and brown? Those are her favorites, right behind the green in Ariel's eyes and the peaky yellow from their house-but blue is the color of summer, Eve is sure, as she gives one last glance to the sky before the sun becomes too much to bear and her view turns into one of colors (as it happens to anyone who stares too much time to the sun and whose wings do not burn as Icarus').

The summer's sky is fully blue (just as Michael's eyes, but Eve is definitely not thinking on them, so she does not see the similarities) and lately, she has seen more blue than what she is sure she has met in her entire life and...

And then, she sees him.

At first, Eve believes is a coincidence. People walk in the street, and she can remember finding others before in the same place as she walked that same path (a mother coming from school with her children, an old man sitting in his garden and smoking...), so she decides to ignore the figure behind her because there's nothing wrong with him.

She turns in the corner, and the humming suddenly stops when the figure follows her too. The thrill is now in pinching her skin-danger! Danger! Danger! She knows its meaning. Eve bites her lip. Where is she supposed to run to? To Michael? - No, the thought snaps in her head before she can even process it. Michael is her secret, no one can ever find about Michael. Whoever its following must not get to him; no one should ever get to him but Eve (see? Her life is turning blue and she can't see it!)