Chapter 2

Eva's POV:

I'm in my kitchen about to my a new creation of mine into the over when I hear from the tv in the living room about the Venture explosion. My head whips around and I quickly race out of my apartment, speeding to where the Venture is. I see Kara and Clark rushing there too.

Kara pushes against the nose of the craft. Clark and I go on either side of her. "Hey, need a hand." I ask. "Hey cous, EM." Kara says. "Good to see both of you." Clark says. "This looks like a job for all three of us." Kara says.

I nod then push back against the nose of the aircraft while Clark goes around back and puts out the fire on the engines and pulls back with all his might. We bring it to a bit of a rough landing then speed out of there.

"That was awesome, I mean that was terrible, but it was awesome. We've never saved anything together." Kara says. "I know."  I then turn to look at the great Superman. "Hi, Sparks or Eva Mason." I say. "Clark Kent, Superman." He says.

"I've dreamt of the this moment, the three of us meeting up and you and EM meeting." Kara says. "Me too." Clark says. A family rides up behind us. "We usually say hi." Kara says. "Me too." Clark says. I smile at him before we walk up to the family behind us.

"Way to go Supergirl and Sparks." The little girl says. "And Superman." The father says. "I used to change his diapers." Kara tells them in a hushed voice. I giggle at this. "No way." The girl says. "Uh, not exactly sure you have to tell them that." Clark says. "Oh yeah. I think I really do."

I laugh a little at their banter. "Ok." Clark says. "Come on, we've got to get back to the DEO." I say. They both nod. We then fly back. Kara and I enter a few second before. "Hey everyone we're back." I call. "Listen up-" Kara says, but I cut off by Clark flying in. Everyone makes way for him.

"Everyone, this is my cousin Sup-I guess you already know." Kara says. They walk down the isle of agents, Clark shaking hands with everyone. "Just wanted to say thank you for your hard work, protecting Earth." Clark says. "Oh brother." I hear Kara says. I giggle a little at that.

Winn nearly passes out from shaking his hand. J'onn then leads Clark to the unknown man from last night. I follow Kara. "Landed on Earth last night in a Kryptonian pod. We don't know who he is." Kara says. "Did you try using a quantum scan to try determining his age?" Clark asks.

"First thing we did." Kara says. "And you x-ray visioned him for foreign objects like a cybernetic data core?" He asks. "Of course." Kara says hesitantly. "By that she means no." I say. Kara elbows me and I glare at her. "I should probably do that." She says. "Yeah." He says.

She does it real quick. "Nope, no data core." Kara says. "So, my handy translator just finished decrypting the pods data log, now seems sleeping beauty, on his journey, passed through something called the Segura-Baal." Winn says, coming into the room.

"The Well of Stars. My father took me there once. Time doesn't pass there so that's why he's still so young." Kara says. "Oh. Oh I've been meaning to ask, Superman, you're twelve years older than Kara right? Because you do not look it." He says. I mentally face palm.

"Kryptonians age at a much slower rate on earth." Clark explains. "You look fantastic." Winn says. I hold back a laugh. "When you're finished we have something more important to talk about." J'onn says. "What?" I ask. "The Venture." He says.

"The company inside the Venture said there was an explosion when the ship reached low orbit insertion." J'onn says. "So?" Kara asks. "Well if something like that was gonna go wrong it would have happened earlier in the flight." Clark says.

"Exactly. The Venture was built here in National City. I think we should investigate this further." J'onn says. "Maybe  a mild mannered reporter should make some inquiries while he's here." Clark says. "Actually I was gonna have my team take a look at that." J'onn says.

"Well Superman's here, we should include him. You can work out of Catco. Just steer clear of Miss Grant. She's been in a mood." Kara says. "Don't worry. I've got some sway with Cat Grant." Clark says as the two walk away. I turn to J'onn and Alex. "So?" I ask. "So what?" J'onn asks.

"So what happened between you and Superman?" Alex asks for me. "Nothing." J'onn says. "Just seems like-" but she stops when she realizes he is walking away from her. "I wonder what really happened between those two." I say. "Yeah, something's not right here." She says.

"How's the guy from the pod?" I ask. "Still asleep, but I wanted to ask you a favor." She says. "Sure, what is it?" "I was wondering if you could use your empathy on him. See what's he's feeling." Alex says. "I have to have contact with his head." I say, agreeing.

"Great, come on." She says. We walk into the room where the man is sleeping. I grab a rolling stool and sit at the head of the bed. I close my eyes and place both my hands on either side of his face. Then I start to read his emotions.

I gasp at how much worry and confusion he has. "What is it? What are you feeling?" Alex asks from beside me. "H-he's in pain because he's worried. And very confused. I can try to go further back in his Empathetic Memory." I say. "Do it." I push further.

"Before he was sent in the pod he was, not happy, but something else I can't describe." I say. "Like he was content, but not truly happy." I pull out of his Empathetic Memory. "The pain must have been from when Krypton exploded, if that's even where he's from."

"We cannot know the full story until he wakes up." I say. Alex nods. I go to stand, but I stumble. Alex quickly catches me. "You ok?" She asks me. "Yeah, it's just been a while since I've used my power. And I did go deep." I say. I try to take another step, but black dots dance before my vision. 

I stumble again. Then everything goes black. When I wake up I realize it's dark outside. Kara and Alex are standing in the doorway. "Hey, what time is it? How long have I been out?" I ask, looking at my surroundings.

"Almost two days. You used too much energy diving deep into the man's Empathetic Memory. Those emotions are from decades ago." Kara says. I sigh and sit up. "Even so, I don't get why it drained me so bad." I say.

"Hey, you're fine. You missed one fight, but Clark was there to help me. Come on, get changed and we can go out to your favorite Chinese restaurant." Kara says. I smile at her. "Ok, give me ten minutes." I say.

The two of them leave and I grab my normal clothes before heading to the bathroom. I change into a white tank top and jeans. I throw on a floral kimono and some sandals before throwing my long brown hair into a pony tail.

I exit the bathroom to find Kara and Alex waiting for me dressed normally. "Ready?" Kara asks. I smile at her and nod. "Ready." We walk through the building and I catch a glimpse of the sleeping man in his room. He looks so peaceful. I stop and Alex and Kara keep walking.

"Hey guys, I have to look at something real quick. I'll meet you at Alex's car." I say. They nod and head for the elevator. I walk into the room and grab the rolling stool and sit down next to him. I look at him closely.

For some reason, looking at him now is different that looking at him before diving into his emotions. I feel like I understand him more. I grab his hand and trace circles on the top of it. What? What am I doing? Why am I doing this?

"Look, whoever you are, wherever you're from. I promise that when you wake up, I will be there for you. When I found out about my powers I was scared and confused and I didn't know what to think of them. As a curse? Or a gift? I didn't know, and I didn't have anyone." I tell him.

"I never want you to be alone. I will always be here for you. Even at your worst. Mystery alien guy." I chuckle. Smiling slightly I get up from the stool and head down to the parking garage. Who is the guy and why has he had this big of an effect on me already?