4

When I enter his room, he's changed and his hair is done. And Michael goes from handsome, to easily breathtaking. He's in a suit, tailored to perfection. He sits at the table, writing away at that small black book.

I've also allowed myself to change, I showered, put on something nice. Applied bits of makeup to my dull face. I look as good as I can, and I did for the sole purpose of impressing Mr. Michael Gray.

Jojo the white Ragdoll Kitten purrs against my chest, I had to hide her into my pillow, holding her against me like a baby. The hospital has a strict no pets policy, and I'm nearly certain I could get fired, but I risked it for Michael. I've also given her a nappy I had stolen from the maternity ward, when I got home, she had pissed on my pillow. My pillow for Christ sake.

I note the men who seem to be outside of his room, and look at them, same older men. They tilt their hats downwards, saluting me. "Evening June."

My cheeks turn pink, they know my name. Bloody hell, what have I gotten myself into. "Evening." I smile, I smell food coming from Michael's room and almost feel my stomach turn. I'm starving.

I knock on his door once and crack it open. He raises his head as I make my way inside, shutting the door behind me. "Hi." I breathe, my mouth dry.

Michael makes his way towards me. He ditched the cane, walking a little limp as he stands before me, he clasps my hand and gently kisses my knuckles. "Hi." He says softly, looking up at me through those lashes.

A sudden heat is brought up in me, and I pull my hand back. Henry-Michael, the romantic? I go crimson, glancing nervously at him before thinking of Jojo, I open my coat and hold her in my arms before mentioning her to Michael, "Meet my kitten Jojo."

"Jojo?" He says, his eyes melting as he scoops her up into his arms. "Hello there,"

I pull off my coat, draping it over his bed, Michael moves to the door, he locks it and pulls down the curtains. Shutting us out from the world. I look away, sitting on a chair, he accompanies me, putting the kitten down to roam the room.

We observe at each other, uncomfortable, but never wanting to look away either. I struggle to open my mouth, struggle to grapple anything other than the fact that we're in the same room again after more than a decade apart.

He says calmly, rubbing his hands against his thighs, "I'm glad you're back."

"Me too," I get lost in his eyes, "How'd you," I point at the bandage patch under his shirt, "What'd you do to get shot?"

"Ah, the Italians and us are kind of at war," He nods to the guards outside. "That's why they're out there, and that's why my mum was so frazzled. Everyone's a little on edge."

"Oh."

He must've noticed my obvious change of emotions and quickly catches himself. "I'm not in danger anymore, I mean, at least I don't think I am."

"How did you even get caught up in this?" I lean in.

He grits his teeth, as if talking about this strains him. "Tommy, my cousin, he came 'round Rosemary's house and said he knew who my mum was. I was turning eighteen then, so I had the freedom of leaving whenever I wanted to."

I look at my fingers that sit in my lap, "So you just left Rosemary?" I whisper.

"I wanted to know who she was, June."

"And who is she?" I raise my head, looking at him. "And Tommy, who is he? Isn't he the bloody leader of that gang?"

He pulls back, stunned. "Why are you getting upset wit' me?"