17

Michael has his arm around me, and I'm aware of the eyes that lurk in envy, jealousy, anger as we enter the Shelby mansion. Michael had called for a meeting, one that had me scared beyond belief. The last time we were here, Michael was taken away from me. And now, I'm here to take Michael away from them? God- this is all too much.

And when I see Polly's reaction, I might just break and shove Michael into her arms, like take him! The thought of her brings a chill to my body and I lean into Michael. He gazes down at me, pulling me closer. "You alright?"

"No..." I squeak. "Are you sure about this?"

"I've never been sure about anything else, June." He says before opening the doors for me. I walk into the house, stopping before extending my hand for him to hold mine. We lock fingers, and he tries to make me less stressed by kissing my knuckles, but I can't imagine myself being calm in such a situation.

The house is filled with silence, and there are no maids in sight. I breathe deeply, in through my nose out through my mouth. Unable to really get the thought of him just blurting out, we're getting married and moving far away from you sicko's out of my head.

Now, I'm sure it won't happen like that. Or will it? I don't know, but what I do know, is that Polly Gray will be absolutely livid. She'll probably get someone to put a bloody curse on me.

"It'll be smooth, easy even." He whispers against my hair. "And then we'll be free."

"Michael." I look up at him. "If you don't want this..."

"I do, will you stop?"

"I just feel like maybe this is too forced."

"What is forced?" He stops and looks at me. "Tell me, what is forced? From the moment I saw you, I knew you were mine, June. I knew all along that I love you, and when I left the orphanage, I never thought it would be a decade before I saw you again. Do you think, even for a moment, that I will let you out of my life again?"

His eyes are so green, it reminds me of the trees in July, so green and perfect and warm and alive. I look up into those eyes and understand what he means when he says he sees home in me. Because I see my home in his eyes too. I suck on bottom lip and look down but he lifts my chin up.

"If you want this as bad as I want this, then fuck everything else." His voice is low and husky.

If you want this as bad as I want this, then fuck everything else. His words bounce around in my body, hitting my heart and making it swell. I get on my toes and kiss him once before pulling back and smiling. "I do want this. So bad." I mutter.

"Me too." He rubs my arm before tilting his head. "Lets do this then, ya?"

I nod, smiling with joy.

He knocks on the door, and I stand there looking directly at Polly who seems rather entertained by us. She looks directly at our intertwined hands and laughs, a woman I do not know the name of tells her to stop. I believe she is the only Shelby sister.

"Mum, Ada," Michael nods at them, "Tommy," He says to Thomas, "Arthur, I ah, June and I, we've got an annoucement to make."

Polly murmurs. "Has the devil told you to marry her?"

Like a foul spell has passed through my nostrils, my face twists and I am repulsed. But then I remember all that happened to her in the prison, and I remember visiting her and thinking, who is this woman. She must be still stuck there, all of them are fucked up. Not just Michael. But even Arthur looks absolutely shattered, like he's been possessed or something.

"No, not the devil, mum. My heart." He looks down at me, smiles even though I know inside he's dreading this. "June and I are getting married,"

"That's wonderful!" Ada cheers, she's probably the most sane one of them all. "We need to celebrate, wheres the champagne Thomas?"

TOUGH LOVE • MICHAEL GRAY FANFIC जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें