Chapter 13: Happy Holidays

Jughead sat in the principal's office waiting for him to be ready to see him. As he sat there he felt himself sobering up. The more he sobered up the stronger the dull ache in his hip got. He had almost forgotten it was there over the weekend. He was too damn drunk to notice it and he liked it that way.

"Mr.Jones?" The secretary called over the desk. "Weatherbee will see you now." He felt like he was in some fifty shades novel, like who actually talks like that? Nonetheless, he got up from the chair.

Jughead entered Weatherbee's office with indifference. He really didn't care about being in the principal's office. It didn't matter to him. What was the worst that could happen?

"Talking back to teachers is not acceptable in this school Mr. Jones," Weatherbee spoke.

"Jughead." Jughead didn't even look at Weatherbee just stared at the walls and all the random things that adorned them.

"Excuse me?" Weatherbee leaned closer to Jughead.

"That's my name. Now can I leave? I have to get back to the world-renowned teaching at this establishment." Jughead stood up out of his chair.

"Sit your ass down Mr. Jones!" Jughead looked at Weatherbee but never sat back down. "Detention. For a week. No more Swords and Serpents Jones. Now get out of my office."

"With pleasure." Jughead bowed mockingly and stepped back into the hallway.

Jughead didn't bother going back to class so he waited outside Betty and Archie's until they were done. He didn't have to wait long for the bell to ring.

"Hey Jug what's going on?" Archie asked when he walked out the door.

"Had to talk to Weatherbee and didn't feel like going back to class." Jughead shrugged and began walking down the hall in the direction of their next class.

"Juggy it's only first period how did you already get in trouble?" Betty was astonished at how nonchalant Jughead was being.

"It's no big deal Betty, come on." Betty jogged to catch up to Jughead and Archie who had followed his friend the minute he took a step.

*****

"Do you think Jughead has been acting weird lately?" Betty asked Archie as they walked to lunch together without their third amigo.

"It's just the Serpents, Betty. Don't worry about it too much." Archie put his arm around Betty's shoulder as he talked. She leaned her head into Archie and sighed.

"Thanks, Arch." Betty looked up at him and smiled. He smiled right back.

Jughead was sitting at their normal table looking totally relaxed. It looked as though if he could he would have had his feet crossed up on it.

"Hey Jug, wanna hit up Pop's after school?" Archie asked sitting down next to him, Betty on his other side.

"Can't," Jughead said popping a fry into his mouth.

"Serpent business?" Betty asked rolling her eyes.

"Detention." Jughead wiped his head around to give his full attention angry at the tone she used. "I have detention for the rest of the week."

"Jug it's Monday... It hasn't even been a full day yet." Archie pointed out. Jughead just shrugged.

"When am I going to see you Juggy?" Betty asked trying to sound cute but Jughead just found it annoying. He used to find it endearing when she spoke like that. He had no idea why that changed.

"One week won't kill you, Betty." He realized how that sounded and panicked. He grabbed her hands in his. "No, sorry. I mean you'll have Archie and if I'm not too busy with the Serpents I'll see you." Betty took a glance at Archie and nodded. Jughead dropped her hands and leaned back feeling accomplished.

*****

Jughead sat in detention bored out of his mind. He couldn't even focus on any work he had because of the pulsing buzz in his hip. It was getting slowly worse as time went on and the more sober he was the more he felt it. He wanted more than anything to just make it go away.

He began to zone out as he stabbed his pencil in and out of his arm. It momentarily distracted him from his soulmark and he was grateful.

"Dude. What the fuck are you doing?" Some kid Jughead had never seen before brought him out of his distraction.

"I'm crocheting a blanket. What does it look like I'm doing?" Jughead rolled his eyes at the stranger.

"So, hey. What are you doing in here anyway?" They turned in their desk so they were facing Jughead and leaning on their thighs.

"Okay look. I don't know you and I don't like you. So just shut up before I deck you one." Jughead looked them right in the eye until they turned away and shut up.

"Hey, you! In the leather jacket with that rag on your head. Get up here." The teacher in charge of detention demanded.

"Jughead. Jughead Jones." Jughead asked standing up from his chair. "My name. Why can't anyone around here get that?"

"Did I ask? No. So shut up and walk your ass up here." Jughead began to realize why he was in charge of detention. "How long you here for?"

"A week," Jughead said half proud and half disinterested.

"Great now it's to weeks. Have fun." Before Jughead could open his mouth to protest the teacher began to talk again. "Detention is over. You're all free to leave. See you for the next two weeks Jones." The teacher practically winked at him while he packed up his stuff.

Jughead sighed and walked out of the classroom and made his way to his bike so he could finally get a drink from the Whyte Wyrm, the only thing to make the ache in his hip go away.

Okay, this is kinda short but the next chapter is about twice the length so I hope that's okay. 

Also, Happy Christmas Eve, Belated/Early Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and any other holidays you guys are celebrating this season! This is my present to you! I hope you enjoy! :)