Chapter 38- Retribution

My eyes barely open when I awake.

They're still hot and stinging from my tears, making it hard for me to see clearly.

I'm just now waking up, but millions of thoughts are racing through my mind.

I blink my eyes open a few times before I can finally see, now able to make out everything around me. The room I'm in is quite dark, but light peaks through the crack of the front door.

I'm lying on a bed similar to the one I was on at the Vatican, except this one has more blankets and pillows.

Looking closer, I can make out a night stand as well as a table with a few chairs. All of it is made out of dark wood, contrasting against the rugged ground and walls.

Where the hell am I?

I never remembered things like this being able to exist in Gehenna...

Where's Satan? Bella?

More importantly... why am I here?

I slide my legs over onto the ground, taking me by surprise when I feel no pain from my leg.

I look down and gasp.

...

I hold my arms out, revealing that I'm no longer wearing my pink dress and heels...

But instead a skin-tight, black jumpsuit with black boots. It zips down far enough to see the top of my chest, and the boots blend in perfectly to the tight leather.

When did...?

The collar goes upward, all the way up to my ears. It's structured, but it flows in tattered remains, similar to the way Amaimon's coat was.

I stand up out of the bed, also realizing that my wounds are almost fully healed...

I shake my head, wiping my wet cheeks as I move my foot out in front of me.

I suddenly see something shining under me, the light reflecting right in my eye. I look down at the ground, but I see nothing.

I hold my hands out in front of me, looking around me a few more times before I realize what is is.

I freeze in the spot I'm in, my hand shakily wrapping around the gold necklace around my neck.

~

I look up at him once more before looking down at the box.

It's a cute, little polka-dotted box with a white ribbon holding it all together. I take the ribbon off and pop open the top, revealing a...

A necklace.

It's a gold necklace... with a small, heartshaped pendant.

I pull it out of the box, setting the box and ribbon down on the bed. I hold the necklace in front of me, soon realizing that all of it is made out of real gold.

Wow.

My lips curve into a smile as my eyes meet his.

"This is beautiful..." I say, studying the pendant even more thoroughly. "I... I love it!"

Mephisto smiles. "I'm glad you like it. Here, allow me."

He takes the necklace and unlocks it, placing it around my neck. Once he locks it, he pulls my hair out from behind the chain, letting it fall down to my waist.

I smile and hold the heart in between my fingers. "You didn't have to do this for me."

"I wanted to do this for you," He kisses me gently. "And if you look a bit closer, you can see just a little something I decided to add."