Chapter 5 - Broken

~Lexine~

I woke up with a terrible headache. Probably because I fell asleep crying. I hate having headaches, makes me wish I could separate my head from my body and put it back on when the headache is gone. I looked at the time. Almost 6 am. Oh shoot! I have to prepare breakfast for the pack. I am the only one who cooks and I'm the only one who knows how to cook. It's kinda weird how they have to rely on me when it comes to food and keeping the house clean. After all, no one can eat junk and takeaways for too long. So yes, I am the maid, I am the cook, and I am the servant. The only difference is that they mostly don't get hit by others unlike me who is constantly getting hit by the people I serve and is always kicked for making slightest mistakes.

I tried to pull myself up but winched. My whole body is aching. My leg hurts so badly from running. I groaned in pain. I got up and went to the bathroom. I checked myself out in the mirror. I gasped at the sight of me. A complete disaster. My face pale, eyes black, a bird nest instead of hair and a red and green dress. My once white and black dress is now an artists canvas. And it stinks. I sighed. Whatever happened, happened. Nothing I could do now to reverse back my stupidity.

Why did I trust them?

No, no no no, I will never trust them again, not in a million years. They can rot in hell, they can get bit by a tiger, I really don't care anymore.

I quickly took a shower, got ready and headed to the kitchen. I am still upset. I started making soup for everyone. I chopped some coriander to add to the soup although I badly wanted to add poison ivy instead. Specially in Alex's soup. But I can't do that. I won't do that. I still value my life, I still have my humanity left, and I don't want to kill him and hurt the Alpha and Luna.

It's Saturday so no school today. Which means I have to clean the pack house, again. I sighed and got ready for work.

~

2 days later.

The day has arrived. After waiting for the torturous two days, the day I had been waiting for is here. Today is the day for the party. The day of finding mates.
I grinned. I will be free! I will find my mate and I will be free!

Who could it be? I wondered. Will he like me for who I am? Is he someone from this pack? Or maybe someone from a neighbouring pack? I hope it's the later one. Otherwise there is a little chance of me being accepted by my mate. I shook my head, I am pretty sure he will accept me. A mate can never hate his or her mate. He will be my mate so he has to. He has to accept me and love me as much as I am going to love him back.

The happiness I felt that moment is indescribable.

The party will be held on the garden outside at 7 pm and everyone will be there searching for their mates.
Can't wait! Woohoo!

I finished all my chores and by the time I finished all the home works for Jen, Tasha and her gangs, it was already 6. I dragged myself into my room and sat down on my bed. I was exhausted but I needed to take a shower. The thought of finding a mate made all the pain disappear. I jumped off of my bed, grabbed a pair of old jeans, a loose t-shirt, a clean towel and made my way to the shower.

30 minutes later I was ready. I could hear people talking downstairs and in the garden. I slowly made my way towards the garden. Suddenly I fell on my back but I quickly got up before anyone could notice. I couldn't afford to embarrass myself in front of my mate. I saw many people found their mate since they were kissing and almost eating each other's face off. PDA much? How is this even allowed at a social gathering like this? I went and sat on a corner mostly because I am not very fond of attention so I just sad there quietly, looking around and hoping to find my mate through my senses.

It has been 2 hours and I still haven't found my mate. I sighed and got up. I was walking towards the door and suddenly bumped on hard wall. A sudden tingle through my entire body and I didn't dare to look up.

'Mate!' My inner wolf growled. Wait.. Mate? I finally looked up and saw...

"A-Alex?" Oh my god! Alex is my mate? The Alpha Alex? No way!

"Le-Lexine?" Alex is as shocked as me. His eyes wide and mouth open in disbelief and shock. I don't know how long we had been staring at each other.

"You, you are my mate Alex!" I finally managed to say. I don't know if I should be happy or not. I mean he is the one makes my life a hell the most and I just found out he is my mate. Fate is perhaps playing a cruel game?

'Since he is your mate, he will make you happy! He has to!' my wolf said to me, excited. That gave me hope. I smiled. I don't know what gotten into me but I found myself squeezing my eyes shut and hugging him tightly.

"Get away from me!" Alex suddenly screamed and pushed me hard.

Huh?

"But Alex..." I blinked a few times trying to register what just happened.

"SHUT UP!" Alex yelled again. "No way! You are not my mate you LIAR!" He looked furious, eyes almost red from anger.

I could hear people gasping. I sensed the crowd is now silent, watching. The tension in the air could have been sliced with a knife.

"Alex you are my mate! Don't you feel it?" I screamed. I grabbed his right arm and shook. I could feel the pull towards him, why can't he?

"You can't be my mate. You are lying!" He yelled. His voice became cold and hard. "I already found my mate." As soon as those words escaped his mouth, I felt dizzy. My mouth went dry and I tried to gasp for air. Hot tears rolled down my cheeks. I shook my head and tried to pull myself together.

"Wha-what are you talking about?" I breath hitched as I said in a trembling voice. I know he is my mate. HE IS! Even wolfy recognised it as well. You can't have two mates at the same time, no way.

Alex turned towards the crowed. "I have already found my mate everyone. Tasha is my mate!" He announced and the crowd sighed in relief. Some even booed at me.

I felt as if my legs were glued to the ground. 'No! He is lying!' My wolf said to me. 'He is our mate!' my wolf is now outrageous.

I know wolfy, I trust you. I told her. Just calm down.
"I am sorry everyone." Alex said to the crowd. "We just had a misunderstanding. Trust me Lexine is not my mate. Tasha is." People nodded and congratulated him.

"I can't believe you are that desperate and now you are a liar?" I heard Jen say. She then turned to Alex. "I am so sorry brother, I can't believe her!"
"But...." I stopped when Alex gave me a cold glare. "I would like to have a nice little chat with you Lexine." He said. He hold Tasha's hand made his way to the house.

I just stood there. Frozen. My mate. Alex. He rejected me. My mate rejected me. My heart clenched as I let the tear flow. No one believed me. No one.

Okay I have to tell my mother. She has to believe me.

Suddenly I felt a stinging sensation on my cheek out of nowhere. I looked up and saw my mum. Realization hit me pretty deep. My own mother didn't believe me at all.

"How dare you!" My mother screamed at me. She hold my wrist so tightly that it hurts and dragged me inside, out of people's sight.

"Mother..."

"Don't call me mother!" She snapped. "How dare you insult the Alpha like this in front of everyone? Are you out of your mind? Do you know how humiliating that was for me?"

"But mother it's true!" I yelled at her and was rewarded by another hard slap.

"Go to your room! Now!"

I ran to my room as fast as my legs could. A mix of emotions were passing through every vein of my body. Sadness, anger, hatred, rejection, humiliation, embarrassment, you name it.

'I can't believe it.' I said to my wolf. Why? Why was I cursed? Why couldn't someone else be my mate? Why Alex? Why not someone from another pack? I sighed as I told my wolf "my freedom is gone."
I should just die, that's the only option.

~

The following morning.

Knock knock. I heard someone knock on my door. I opened the door which made screeching noise. Alex is standing there, arms crossed.

What is he doing here? Maybe he came to apologise? My face lit with hope.

"Alex..."

"We need to talk." Alex cut me off before I could even begin.

"Uh okay. Come on in please." I gulped and cleared his way so he can enter.

"Sit down." He commanded and I did as I was ordered.

"Now Lexine that wasn't necessary was it? You can't go and humiliate me like that infront of the pack members! I don't even know what you punishment would be" Alex shook his head.

Oh... so that's why he came here. I should have seen that coming.

"But Alex you are my mate! You can't deny it either! We are meant to be together! Even our name matches. Alex and Lex. You are my mate!" I shouted, which is something I had never done to him before. I had enough! Alex seemed shocked at my sudden outburst.

"Control you tone!" Alex snapped at me in an authoritative voice and it made me flinch.

"Please Alpha." I knelt down and begged but he pulled me up with a harsh jerk.

I sighed, "Are-are you rejecting me?" I asked softly while looking down and his facial expression softened a little. I could not look into his eyes anymore, everything hurts like I am in hell.

"Look I know you are my mate okay? I felt whatever you felt back there. But I can't be with you. I have a reputation to hold on to and I am the soon to be Alpha! I mean look at you Lexine, you are nothing. You are nothing but filthy and disgusting. You are hated by everyone so you must understand my situation."

Situation? Are you out of your mind?! Doesn't he get what situation I am in? Sacrificing my life for all you ungrateful bastards?

I kept my cool.

"What about me then huh Alex?" I asked. I don't want to live here.

He just sighed, again. "Look let's just not mention it to anyone okay? And in return I will let you off the hook. And Lexine, I am sorry but I am rejecting you as my mate. I wish things were different but it's not. We just have to just get on with it. I am really sorry Lexine." He wasn't sorry, "we are different, we can never be together, but hey you might find someone else".

With that he left.

His words keep replaying in my head. Each words stabbing me in the heart. I am now officially rejected by my mate. My wolf howled and wept in unbearable pain. I am so sorry wolfy.

My life is over.

You are sorry huh, well screw you Alexander Dawn, why couldn't you be more like your parents?
I locked myself in my room for the rest of the day. Depressed and sad. No one disturbed me or asked me clean the house or cook, which I am thankful for. I stared out of the window for hours, I don't know how time even passed by. I ran of tears, can not cry anymore, and after few hours I cry again. It's a cycle.
I wiped the tears off of my eyes. Not knowing what to do, I picked up my phone to see the time and Jacks number caught my attention. Maybe I could give him a call? Or maybe not. Its 12 at night for crying out loud and he is probably asleep.

But I really needed someone to talk to and that person right now is Jack. I mean he has been really nice to me so maybe he is the person who can lend me a shoulder to cry on for the night.

Should I trust him? Well, why not. What worse could happen?

Without further hesitation I hit the dial button. After few rings, Jack picked up.

"Hello?" Jack replied in a groggy voice.

"Hey Jack." I said.

"Lex is that you?"

"Uhmm... yeah. I uh, I am sorry if I disturbed you, I mean wake you up at this hour."

"No not at all." He mumbled in his sleepy voice, "Lex are you alright? Your voice sounds hoarse." Jack said. "Have you been crying? What's wrong Lex?" I could feel genuine concern in his voice.

"I, I don't know Jack, I just wanted to talk to someone." I sniffled.

"Oh Lex do you want me to come over? Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"Uh no it's okay Jack. I just, actually can you meet at the park please? I know it's 12 but I just," before I could finish my sentence Jack cut me off, "I will be right there."

"Oh okay thanks, I will see you soon. Bye." I threw my phone on the bed and looked down the window. I could go by the door and I know everyone is sleeping but I wouldn't take my chances of getting caught while sneaking out.

With a count of 1 to 3 I jumped and landed on soft grass. I quickly composed myself and made my way to the park.

~
After 5 minutes.

I reached the park and quickly scanned the area but couldn't see anyone.

"Lex?" A voice yelled from the opposite direction. I looked back to see Jack running towards me.

"Jack" I whispered and hugged him tight and he hugged me back. "Thanks for coming."

"It's okay, I am here. Let's go and sit there." He guided me to a bench under a huge tree. We sat down in complete silence. He had his arms wrapped around mine.

"You know, whenever you are ready you can tell me what's wrong." Jack spoke softly. "I am here for you."

I looked up at him. He is being so nice to me, an stranger is nice to me. No one ever been so kind to me before. He sacrificed his time and came here so I guess he deserves to know everything.

Why can't everybody else be like him?

I was not sure if I could tell him that I am a werewolf. He is a human after-all. But who cares? I just don't know if he will believe me but I will give it a try. What do I have to lose? I already lost everything, and if Jack is the right person to lean on then he won't think I am mad or crazy psycho.

"Jack I have to tell you something." I said, almost whispering. "Promise me you won't laugh or think I am crazy or anything, please?"

Jack nodded. "I will never think of you as crazy Lex. You can tell me anything and I will believe you, even if you tell me that unicorn exists, I will believe that without any doubt."

I chuckled softly and looked ahead of me, not daring to look in his eyes. "Jack I have a secret. I......" I paused for a second. I started debating, should I tell him? Is he gonna laugh at me? Is he gonna recommend me to go to mental hospital? I don't know. But he promised me he will believe me.
Will he? I don't care if does or not. I have to tell him. I have to get this out of my shoulder. He is my only friend and I trust him.

"Well?"

"Um, I don't know if you will believe me or not Jack but I. I am a she-wolf. Like in werewolf."

There, I said it. I just now have to wait for his reaction. I at least expected him to laugh but he didn't say anything. He didn't even laugh. He just stared at me.

"Jack please say something." I pleaded. "Laugh at me if you want, call me crazy if you want but please say something!" the silence is killing me.

He sighed. "Lex......."

That's it. He is gonna say I am crazy or I have watched too much movies or stuff. I lowered my head.

"Lex I know."

I snapped my head up and looked at him. "You, you know?"

"Yes Lex I know you are a werewolf."

That got me. "Bu-but how? You are a human!" I said, surprised as hell. Maybe he has a wolf mate.

He sighed again. "I know all about werewolf. I know your pack is Silver Shadow and I even know that Alex Dawn is the soon to be Alpha."

I just stared at him. Shocked.

He let out a deep breath. "I know you are surprised. You are wondering how I know so much about wolves' right?"

I nodded vigorously.

"Well long story short, my sister Lily, she was killed by rogues." He said and looked at me in the eyes.

What?!

For the next few minutes he explained how he saw them shifting into wolves, then turning back into humans, and how he saw them killing his sister. He also told me that his grandma knew about them as well and he learned all these from her.

Wow! I didn't really expect that.

"I am so sorry." I mumbled quietly, not sure what else to say.

"It's alright. You have done nothing. So..." Jack breathed out. "Anyways, are you going to tell me what happened?"

I nod and told him everything. I told him how my mate rejected me, how they humiliated me how they made my life a living hell. I told him how I will be able to shift on my 17th birthday which is the day after tomorrow. When I finished, I saw his jaw clenched. By the look of his face, I could tell he is angry and sad. Mixed emotions were visible.

"Those son of a b*tch! Bloody filthy animals those cowards! How could they do such a thing to you?" Jack growled. "You know what? Come with me." He said and grabbed my hand and dragged me towards his car.

"Jack where are we going!" I exclaimed but he didn't reply.

I kept quiet the entire ride. Often stealing glances at him. Man he looked furious.

~Jack~

I am furious. I can't believe it! I hated how they treated her. She does not deserve this! Next time I see them I swear I will kill them! I gripped the steering wheel tightly in anger, my knuckles turning white. I could feel the blood in me is boiling.

Okay I need to calm down. I breathed slowly in and out, trying to calm myself down. When I finally reached my home, I parked my car and got out of the car.

"Come on." I said and opened the passenger door for her to get out. She looked confused but didn't say anything.

I grabbed her hand and made my way towards the door. I pulled out my keys from my left jeans pocket and opened the door. Once we were in, I closed the door. We have a large house, but quite old, similarly to an Spanish Banglow. I once thought of rebuilding the house but later decided not to. My sister's memories lie within this house and I don't want to take it away. We walked down the hallway and stopped in front of a small wooden door. I knocked lightly.

"Come in."

I opened the door.

"Hello grandma." I greeted her. She got up from her bed came towards us.

"Jack, what brings you here at this time?" she said.

"Grandma I want you to meet Lex. Lex this is my grandma Lucy" I said and her eyes swifted from me to Lex, suddenly acknowledging her presence. Her eyes widen.

"Jack what's an wolf doing here?!" She said, suddenly alert.

"Grandma please calm down! She is with me. Just listen please."

Her facial expression softened a bit but I knew she still had her guard on. It seems she trusts him well enough to not make me leave.

"Oh well come on in then." She said hesitantly.

We walked inside and sat on a chair. I caught Lex scanning the room with a surprised look on her face. Who wouldn't? This room looks like a witches abode. It's quite dark; old books about wolves and other paranormal are stacked on the large shelves, some are scattered around here and there. The dark brown coloured wall isn't helping either. We can easily make horror film in this room.
Lex gave me a questioning look. "Will tell you later." I whispered.

"Ahem so what can I do for you two?" My grandma asked, eyeing us carefully, especially me.

I told her everything I know about Lex apart from the mate stuff. That's not my place to tell. Lex will tell herself if she wishes. My grandma listened quietly.

"So yes, we just want some advice." I said. She sighed. She then got up and sat next to Lex.
"Oh dear." She said with sympathy and hugged her. "I am glad you came to me. I can't imagine what you are going through darling." She then got up and looked at me. "I would like to speak to her for a minute Jack." I nodded. I got up and left the room without questioning.