Chapter 15

Michael woke up alone the next morning. Most teenage boys would be disappointed to wake up without a girl in bed, but Michael's unhappiness came from the absence of his familiar computer.

He sat up, staring blankly out the window.

Please, come back.

He was answered with silence.

"Michael, we'll be gone for the day. Please hold down the fort while we're out." Michael heard his parent's voice from the living room.

"Yeah, okay." he replied. He heard the sound of the front door shutting.

Sighing, Michael donned his glasses and got out of bed. He changed clothes and checked his alarm clock. It read 8:04.

What now, Michael? You're on your own.

He shrugged to himself, moving to the living room. His parents' car left the driveway and flashed past the window adjacent to the front door. He gazed out the window, unable to think about anything else besides last night's events.

A familiar car slowed in front of the house, then pulled into the driveway. Startled, Michael moved to the glass to see the unexpected visitor.

Indeed, it was Jeremy's car. Well, Jeremy's father's car. Michael watched as Jeremy tumbled out of the passenger seat, saying something to the driver before hurriedly running to the door.

Michael stepped back, unprepared to talk to Jeremy. The doorbell rang, accompanied with several harsh knocks and a desperate friend calling out Michael's name.

"Michael! Michael, please let me talk to you. I need to talk to you!"

He pushed up his glasses, staring at the door as if it would make Jeremy go away.

"Michael, please! I know you're here!"

Knowing Jeremy wouldn't give up, Michael gave in. He approached the door and slowly opened it.

Jeremy looked disheveled, still wearing the same outfit he had on yesterday. His hair was a mess and his cheeks were quite red. He sighed, relieved that his efforts worked.

"Michael..." he huffed.

Michael didn't respond, at least not initially.

He sighed. I don't want to hear an explanation.

On the other hand, an explanation is better than complete silence.

"Come inside." Michael spoke quietly.

"Look, Michael, we gotta talk about last night. A lot of stuff happened, and we both went through a lot, and I have a lot to tell you, and-" Jeremy entered shakily, passing Michael as he gave a blurred explanation.

"Jeremy, please." Michael silenced his friend. "Sit down. Calm down. Let's talk."

"Okay, okay." Jeremy helped himself to one of the four chairs surrounding the small dining table. Michael sat across from him.

  "Alright, Jeremy. Let me start with the obvious: Why did you want to get rid of my Squip?"

Jeremy exhaled, his breath noticeably shaky. "Michael, I..." He looked around, recollecting his thoughts. "I didn't like the Squip. You knew that. I was angry with it. I was unhappy that my best friend was being controlled by this computer. After what happened with me, I didn't trust anything those things might do."

I wasn't controlled...

Okay, just listen, Michael.

"I was scared of it. Scared of what it might do to you. And these feelings were strong enough for me to go against your will."