Chapter 16

Michael left school that day with a mixed attitude, feeling both happy and angry, giving him a strange sense of unsatisfaction. He laid on his bed and scrolled through his phone, stalling to do his homework. 

  Jesus, what a day. I'm at a loss for what to do. 

  Well, maybe we could start tomorrow. Forgive Jeremy for what he did. Get closer to him, like Squip said. It would be progress. We want progress, right?

  Yeah. 

  "The hell am I doing?" Michael laughed quietly. "Talking to myself, like an idiot..." He rolled to one side and continued on his phone. 

  You know what you're doing. You're trying to create a substitute.

  No, I'm not...

  Yes, you are. You want a Squip in your life. 

  No, I don't want to think about it.

  Are you going to do something about it? 

  ...Jesus, am I going insane?

  "Maybe." Michael idled on the home screen. He sighed, gently tapping his fingers on the side of his phone. Finally, he went to his search engine, opening an incognito tab and typing in SQUIP. 

  I'll just buy another one, Jeremy. And I'll take better care of it this time. 

  He hit Enter, waiting for the search results to pop up. 

  Incoming Call: Rich

  Michael's screen flooded with the call request from his friend.

  For heaven's sake...

  Michael answered. "Hello?"

  "Hey, Michael." Michael could hear the melancholy in Rich's voice.

  "Hello, Rich."

  "Jeremy talked to me about...what happened. After you left the cafeteria."

  "Yeah?"

  "Yeah. I'm glad you two are doing well."

  "...I guess. It's hard to stay angry with the man you love."

  "I can imagine." Rich sighed. "Michael, what are you going to do now?"

  Buy another Squip.

  "I don't know, Rich. I don't know."

  "Well, I don't know if I'm really the person you want to talk to right now, but I'll try to keep helping you."

  "Yeah." Michael didn't have much else to say. "I'll...I'll talk to you later, okay?"

  "Okay."

  Michael promptly hung up. He returned to his web browser, looking at the results for his query.

  Besides the browser asking if he meant squid, not much came up. A few untrusted articles about the devices and some blog posts discussing anecdotes about the pill were the only real results. No marketing websites were selling it.

  To the mall. There might be some at the mall.

  Michael rolled off his bed, grabbing his car keys from his desk before shuffling out of his room.

  "I'm heading out." He called.

  "Be back before dinner." His parents called back.

  The keys jangled as Michael thrust them into the ignition, cranking them and bringing the car to life. He exited the open garage and turned onto the road.