5: seventeen-year-olds

"So I'm Roxanne Shin - but you can call me Roxy or Annie or basically anything. That handsome fella over there is Hank 'The Tank' McCoy," Roxy says gesturing to the man right next to her who had apparently drawn the short straw and was squeezed into the backseat with the teenagers.

"I have never heard anyone call me that," Hank deadpans but waves to Peter who sits two seats over, on Roxy's other side. Peter waves back.

"And no one ever will if I don't keep promoting it!" Roxy protests. Then she lowers her voice conspiratorially to a low whisper so that the boy next to her has to lean closer to hear. "He may look like a square, but I can vouch for him. The scraggly guy in the passenger seat is Charles Xavier. He's sometimes a telepath. And the scary one driving... Well I only met him today."

She opened her mouth like she wanted to say something else but then decided against it. Then she turned fully to face Peter and gave him an expectant look.

"Oh, uh, I'm Peter. Technically Pietro. Maximoff. But you can call me any time," he grinned making Roxy laugh in surprise. Nice, Maximoff, smooth. "And I'm fast, like you saw," the boy boasted.

"Is that so? We'll have to have a race then," Roxy raised an eyebrow and tried to control her smile.

"Yeah, that's so. And I've never lost a race. So bring it on, Shin."

"Never?" Roxy feigns awe and fans herself. "Well, you know what they say right? Girls love guys who finish fast." She winks and then laughs at Peter's mock affronted look.

"Oh wouldn't you like to know?" Peter flirts. The girl next to him giggles and pushes at his arm. 'Damn, two for two' he thinks, puffing his chest.

Logan watched this interaction in the rear view mirror. The boy in the backseat was beaming and seemed to be vibrating slightly in excitement but was clearly trying to play it cool.

"So Pietro Maximoff... Is that Russian? Ukrainian maybe?"

"Oh, it's Sokovian. My mom's parents are from there."

"Oh, nice. Also, your hair is way too soft to be dyed. Does that mean it's natural? That's so cool! I'd much rather have silver hair than eyes."

Peter Maximoff was having a very hard time answering any of Roxanne's questions besides the few nods he had just barely managed.

He was quite unable to focus on literally anything except the smokin' hot girl whose knee was pressed into his, especially when that girl was doing things like saying his full name like that and twirling and tugging on a strand of his hair around her finger. All while her face was less than a foot from his and those gorgeous silver eyes, that he swore could see into his brain, peered up at him.

Shit. New priority: do not get a fucking boner, Maximoff. Keep it together.
Peter shifted awkwardly in his seat and positioned his face into what he desperately hoped was a charming smile as he responded with something witty.

"Hey, you wanna, like, do something after this?" Witty? That's what you call witty, you moron? Quick do something before she-

"By this, do you mean breaking a murderous fugitive out of the Pentagon?"

"Yeah?"

Roxanne just laughed again, and the boy next to her looked mesmerized by the sound. "You're a dork, Pete. I think we're gonna get along just fine."

She let go of his hair, and Peter managed to not make the needy sound that he felt like making as he subconsciously leaned his head back towards her slightly.

Logan, who'd been glancing back in the rear view mirror, rolled his eyes. Seventeen-year-olds. He hadn't considered the difference in age or maturity between this Quicksilver and the one he had come to know in his timeline. And having this girl around was just going to distract the Maximoff boy if how things were going in the backseat of the car was any indication. Of course he could have expected that, considering what he knew about the two kids' futures. He just hadn't realized Roxanne would be here. Hopefully she wouldn't make his mission harder than it had to be.

A furrow appeared between the man's brows as he took another glance at the girl currently fluttering her eyelashes and laughing without a care in the world.

He hadn't lied to her exactly... but he certainly wasn't totally honest.

He really hadn't known Roxanne Shin... personally. But he had heard of her. And they had crossed paths just once... Not to mention that her name had been in the news, both the mutant and non mutant channels.

A giggle from behind him startled Logan back into the present.

(Well not really the present, but the past? This time travel shit was starting to give him a headache.)

He glanced up once more to the rearview mirror at the teenage girl whose currently impressive abilities were nothing compared to what they'd become in the next ten years. Logan knew it wasn't fair for the universe to put so much power in one broken child. It was no wonder it was so difficult for her to control them, but-

Roxanne suddenly met his frowning gaze in the mirror with those freaky eyes of hers narrowed suspiciously. He quickly looked back to the road ahead but could still feel her curious stare on him.

There was still time. This new timeline he was hopefully creating would be completely different than his own. Maybe in this one she would stay on the right side... Maybe in this one he wouldn't have to help kill her.

~~~~~~~~

A/N: So... what do you think? :)