3: teenage kleptomaniac

Roxy stared in awe.

The boy had super speed. And he was playing ping pong with himself, zipping from one side of the table to the other in a blur.
Roxy had never met a mutant with powers even sort of similar to her own. She fought the intense urge to slow time and beat the boy to the other side.

"What do you guys want?" The boy asked without slowing down. "I didn't do anything. I've been here all day." He rushes over to the couch, where he collapses arms folded behind his head. Roxy can't help it - she clicks her pocket watch. How was she supposed to get a good look at him otherwise?

Her eyes widened. No way around it - the boy was cute. And had been looking right at her with a crooked smirk when time had froze. Roxy took a few steps forward. His hair was a bit long and silver (must be natural because his eyebrow matched) and he wore a black sweatshirt open over a Pink Floyd t-shirt and worn down sneakers.
In short: he looked like the type of guy Roxy would totally have a crush on in school.

Not that that was relevant... She was way too mature for school girl crushes anyways.

That's when she noticed the rest of the basement. It look like a museum gallery called "Teenage kleptomaniac". Boxes upon boxes of Pringles, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, candies, and sodas were stacked everywhere. There were guitars, televisions, and even vending machines - how the hell did he run with those? The walls displayed a parking meter, music posters (he certainly had good taste), don't walk signs (ironic?), a no trespassing sign, a don't enter sign... Skateboards, jackets, bowling balls... Jeez this kid had a problem. And an admittedly awesome room.

Okay back to reality. Roxy skipped back to around where she'd been standing and clicked the watch dial. The boy's eyebrow immediately raised.

"Just relax, Peter. We're not cops," Logan said.

"Of course you're not cops. If you were,
you wouldn't be driving a rental car. And you probably wouldn't have her," He said with a nod towards Roxy who grinned.

"How do you know we've got a rental car?" Charles grumbled.

"I checked your registration when you were walking to the door." That must have been the blur she'd seen upstairs! "I also had some time to kill, so I went through your rental agreement. Saw you were from out of town. Are you FBI?"

Peter zooms over & grabs Charles's wallet from his pocket before any of the men can respond.

"Nope, not cops. Hey, what's with this gifted youngsters place?"
He drops the wallet & card on the ping pong table and runs out of sight.

"That's an.. old card." Charles mutters putting his things back into his pocket.

"He's fascinating." Hank grins.

"He's a pain in the arse." Charles grumbles.

"We're gonna be such good friends!" Roxy squeals and suddenly Peter runs back to the couch this time with an orange popsicle. He see's her looking and points at the snack to offer one. Roxy nods with a smile. In a flash, he's right in front of her, red popsicle in hand.

"You seemed like a cherry gal," The silver haired boy whispers.

"Thanks. And good guess," Roxy whispers back conspiratorially. Behind them, Hank is asking Logan if Peter's a teleporter. Roxy frowns; they must not be able to process it fast enough. She can clearly tell that he's running.

"No, he's just fast." Logan says. "And when I knew him he wasn't so... young."

"Young? You're just old." Peter retorts making Roxy chuckle. The men turn around startled, apparently not having noticed the speedsters relocation.

Charles glances down at the treat in Roxy's hand and gives her a look. She stares back at him in innocent confusion and gives the popsicle a lick. He scowls before turning back to Peter. "So you're not afraid to show your powers?"

"Powers? What powers? What are you talking about?"

Hank and Charles exchange glances.

"Do you see something strange here? Nothing anybody would believe if you told them." Peter shrugs with narrowed eyes as he drops his finished popsicle stick in the trash. 

Logan rolls his eyes. Suddenly Peter zooms off and the arcade machine behind them starts beeping. Roxy walks over and peers at the screen from a distance.

He's playing Pong but it's at least ten times faster than the regular game. She watches in awe; she had given up on most arcade games because they were simply too slow for her. How had she never thought to rig it before?

"So who are you? What do you want?" Peter asks nonchalantly.

"We need your help, Peter," Logan explains.

"For what?"

"To break into a highly secure facility.. and to get someone out."

"Prison break?" Peter grins to himself. "That's illegal you know."

"Yeah, wouldn't want to tarnish your clean record," Roxy snorts with a grand gesture at all of the clearly stolen items piled around the room.

"Well.. only if you get caught."

"So what's in it for me?"

"You, you kleptomaniac" Charles mutters as he takes off his sunglasses to rub at his eyes, "get to break into the Pentagon."

Peter freezes and turns around, obviously intrigued. "How do I know I can trust you?"

"Because we're just like you," Logan says.

"Show him." Charles nods to Logan.

The gruff man makes a fist, and then bone-like claws slowly emerge from between his knuckles. Peters inhales and stares. "That's cool, but it's disgusting."

"I know, right? He showed me in the car ride over. Apparently it doesn't hurt! He wouldn't let me touch them though," Roxy mopes.

Peter turns to the girl next to him. He'd been trying not to stare since she walked in, but there was something about her that he couldn't place. She was wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt (immediate good impression) tucked into jeans. Her skin was a soft brown, she had long black hair, and her eyes.. her eyes were bright silver. Like his favorite jacket. Like his hair.
She was gorgeous - that much was obvious.

But what he was really wondering.. "What about you? Are you a... are you like me too?"

Roxy grinned. She loved a good chance to show off. With a click to the pocket watch hanging around her neck, time froze.

The girl scanned the room, eyes locking in on a shiny silver leather jacket hanging on a hook on the wall. She skips over, tossing her empty popsicle stick in a trashcan as she passes one, and slides the jacket on. It's lighter than it looks and soft on the inside. Then she skips over to the couch and perches on the armrest. Satisfied, Roxy grabs the watch and clicks the dial again.

Hank, Charles, Logan, and Peter are still staring at the spot where she'd just been.

"Not exactly like you," she calls out. They all turn to where she's sitting, and Peter's jaw drops. "But pretty close."

"No way. You have superspeed too?!" He exclaims, zipping over to stand in front of her.

"No, I control time. So I don't speed up; I just slow the universe down. I guess."

"...That's hot." Peter blurts out. The three men to his right roll their eyes, but Roxanne's cheeks flush when she smiles.

"You're not too bad yourself, Speedy. And welcome to the heist team."

~~~~
A/N:  Have y'all see Xmen Dark Phoenix? Would u recommend it?

I never got to see it but kinda want to.