Ten

I woke up and went into the kitchen to get something to eat. The kitchen was the same as I left it last night, so after breakfast I began to clean up. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was 11:30, “that’s strange,” I though, “Syd couldn’t still be sleeping, could he?” I walked down the hall to his room and knocked on the door, but there was no answer, “Syd, its Meg, open up.” I knocked again and he didn’t respond. I opened the door to see him passed out on the floor of his room. I looked around and saw that his room was a lot messier than it normally was; books were scattered across the floor, papers were everywhere, and his clothes we out of his drawers. I nudged him, “Syd?” he took a deep breath and opened his eyes, “Good morning, sunshine. You feeling okay?” I asked. He sat up and shook his head, “nah, I don’t feel that great…”

“Do you want me to get you anything?”

“No, I’ll be okay; you go and do what you have to do…”

I stood up and opened his curtains to let in some light, “Are you going to call David, to make dinner arrangements?”

“Could you? I don’t really feel good enough to talk.”

“Alright, I’ll do that. If you need anything, just say something, okay?”

“Thanks, Meg. His number is written on a paper by the phone.” I walked out of the room, thinking that Syd really didn’t look too well. I closed the door behind me and walked over to the phone. I saw the scrap of paper by the phone and dialed it. The phone rang a few times, then a man picked up, “hello?” he said.

“Hi, this is David, right?”

“Yeah, it is, who is this?”

“I’m Meg, Syd asked me to call you. He wanted to see if you were free tonight to have dinner with him, Roger and myself.”

“Yes, I’m free tonight, do you think Syd would mind if we went to that little old Italian place we went to the last time I was in town?”

“I’m sure he would love to.”

“Would dinner at seven work for you guys?”

“That would work, yes.”

“Um… okay, I guess I’ll see you guys then.”

“Alright, see ay then.” And I hung up the phone.

            Syd casually walked out of his room into the kitchen, seeming not completely there, “Did you call David?” he asked while pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

“Yes, I just got off the phone with him…”

“Where does he want to go?”

“Um… he said an Italian place you guys went to last time he was in town, at seven.”