breakfast with the enemy

*edited*

To clarify, I've never been truly terrified in my life. I mean, the night that my parents died was pretty scary but I didn't know what was happening, so I wasn't terrified. I've always looked fear in the face and chuckled at it.

But, when I heard Ana screaming, I was fucking terrified. I forced my limbs to move and grabbed my gun, running towards the noise. I ran up two flights of steps until I reached the kitchen. Seeing what was waiting for me, I froze.

"An eye for an eye, Zoelie."

Harry stands behind Ana, holding a gun to her head. Nikolai was in a pile on the ground. Bodies are littered on the floor and blood covered the walls. Men flanked Harry, pointing their guns towards me. Harry motions me to drop my gun and I do, hearing it bounce off the floor.

"Zoelie." I'm staring at the bodies and look at Harry, "You killed an innocent woman. My mother hasn't been involved in the family since her and Des split years ago. So, I'm feeling a bit vindictive. Understandable, is it not?"

With that, he presses the gun harshly into Ana's temple. He raises his eyebrows expectantly, waiting for my answer.

"She's not dead." 

"Oh but she is. Her head was delivered to my house hours ago. I'm here for revenge. I was prepared for anything, really."

But Nikolai wouldn't have ordered to kill her, he knew the consequences. So who killed her?

I'm terrified for Ana. She never liked our lifestyle and now she was going to pay for it. Like Anne, she married in. It's not fair that she's going to take the fall for something someone else did.

In a moment of panic, I had to make a decision. Either Harry kills Ana now or I stall until someone possibly shows up. It's nearly time for breakfast, some of our men are bound to be home soon. So, I blurt out the first thing that came to my mind.

"Can I offer you guys anything?"

"Sorry?" Harry looks confused and his hold on Ana loosens.

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" My back is sweating and my hands are shaking slightly. I can't tell if it's fear or adrenaline that's making me so jumpy.

"I don't know what game you're trying to get at, but I'm willing to play. Make us breakfast." He pushes Ana towards me and I catch her before she falls to the ground. She stares up at me in fear and I nod to convince her that I know what I'm doing as we walk arm in arm to the kitchen.

I turn to see some of Harry's men pull Nikolai up and I exhale in relief to see him beaten, but not dead. They push him harshly into a chair at the kitchen table where he sits silently.

"Breakfast," Harry repeats, his pink lips in a sickening smirk.

Harry is resting at the head of the table, where Nikolai usually sits. His feet are on the table and his boots have blood on them. His men seat themselves and I see Mole moving around in his seat. He keeps his eyes on the table and refuses to look at me.

For the next hour, Ana and I toasted bread, scrambled eggs, and flipped pancakes. Harry watched us, taking in all of our movements. He kept glancing at Ana's round stomach and grimacing as if he was in pain. When everything was done, I helped Ana over to the table and sat her in the only empty seat, which was beside Nikolai. When she was settled, she immediately reached for his hand and held on tightly.

I served everyone their plates and drinks, including Nikolai and Ana, leaving Harry for last. When I set his drink and plate in front of him, he looks up at me.

"Well, aren't you going to sit?" Looking down the table, all the seats were full. I was to either stand or sit on the floor. I begin to kneel when Harry grabs my bicep, pulling me up.

"No don't. Sit on my lap." My eyes are wide as he pulls me harshly into his lap.

 I look down at the table and notice no one has touched their food, hands holding the utensils expectantly. Ana and Nikolai cling to each other, staring at me. 

My face is flushed and my heart is pounding so hard I'm sure Harry can feel it. 

Harry's hands move on his own plate. He cuts a bite sized portion off of a pancake and holds it up to me.

"You're going to sample everything." He rasps, softy in my ear.

"Why?" Food is the last thing on my mind right now.

"I'm not trying to die from poison today, love."

The piece presses against my lips and I open my mouth hesitantly. The pancake was hard to chew and swallowing it was even worse. Dread pools in my stomach as the time passes by.

When I finish trying everything, Harry speaks, "Eat."

The men eat in silence, silverware clinking every so often.

Harry holds onto me, one hand on my thigh while the other one navigates the food to his mouth.

 One of Harry's men sits to the right of us, his gaze warming my face. When I meet his eyes he makes an obscene gesture with his tongue at me.

I glare at him and sit up straighter, arching my back so it doesn't touch Harry's chest. Doing so apparently made me grind my bottom into his lap. The hand on my thigh tightens and he hisses in my ear. I pick up a cup of coffee to stop my hands from shaking and sip it, staring at the table in front of me.

Ana hadn't touched any of her food and Nikolai's glaring at Harry. We're captive in our own home and my only hope had yet to make an appearance. The men never miss breakfast and with every minute passing, my dread grew. No, there can't be.

Harry was always one step ahead. My heart sinks when I realize the painstakingly obvious. He knew, he has a mole too.

I jumped from his lap and slam the coffee cup to the ground, shattering it.

"You knew! You fucking knew!" I'm standing over him, hands curled. I can feel the sharp edges of the broken glass crunching beneath my boots.

"Of course I knew, I always know." He finishes chewing and pats his mouth with his napkin. He stands up and looms over me, the sound of glass crunching underneath his boots. He walks over to Ana, pulling her up. His gun is once again placed against her temple and she cries out for Nikolai, who's being restrained. 

"You're truly an amazing cook, Zoelie. I haven't had a meal like that in a long time, thank you." He bows slightly to me and looks up, his eyes twinkling. "But, like I said earlier, I'm here for revenge. I'm going to kill the girl then leave."

The gun is cocked and his finger is on the trigger. Time slows down and all is silent. Ana's sobs are quieted and Nikolai goes limp. My heart is hammering in my chest when I realize that I have to do what my parents did for me.

"Kill me instead!" I blurt out.