run

I crack my eyes open and am relieved when I realize that it's still dark outside. I stretch out, my muscles cramped from laying in the same position for too long.

I peek over at Harry and see he's dead asleep, a small stream of drool coming out of his open mouth. I grimace and get out of the bed slowly, pulling the dead weight of his arm off of me as I go. When I'm freed, I walk across the cold hardwood floor and into the adjacent bathroom. 

I shut and lock the door behind me, and go to the bathroom. As I'm washing my hands, I look up into the mirror and I stare at my disorganized appearance.

My makeup is smudged across my face and my hair is still put up. Using a towel I find under the sink, I rub my face clean until I look like me again. Taking down my hair was difficult but I managed to take out all of the clips and bobby pins the stylists shoved into scalp. When I deem myself bed ready, I turn to go back to bed when I realize that this was my chance. 

Harry's drunk and asleep, now is perfect. 

Tiptoeing into the bedroom, I walk quietly over to the dresser across from the bed and feel around the drawers until I find a pair of cotton shorts. I slide them up my legs and fold the band so they fit around my waist. 

I move across the room and open the door silently, my eyes on Harry's sleeping form the whole time. Walking down the steps, I cringed every time the hardwood would creak beneath my feet, but made it to the first floor without any trouble. As I walk towards the front door, I look out for any security systems. When I find none, I feel a moment of hesitation. 

His words from last night ring in my ears, "I got a brand new system installed while we were away, dogs and all."  Regardless, I push my fears aside and swallow the lump in my throat.  

Holding my breath, I cautiously open the front door, my heart beating in my ears.

Silence.

 I exhale sharply and sprint out the front door, my body shooting through the air. As I run, I feel freed, unburdened. It feels good to have the wind in my hair and air in my lungs. I make it only a thousand feet when I figure out Harry's security system is much better than I expected.

I'm halfway through the front yard when I see a huge overhead light shine on me. I reach the edge of the winding driveway when I hear the dogs.

"Get her!" 

I make the mistake of looking behind me to see a handful of men and at least 10 dogs running after me. I look around in fear, trying to find somewhere to hide. My eyes fall on the forest just beyond the gateline. So I push myself faster, the sound of my breathing slicing through the air. 

Somehow, I make it to the forest-line then into the forest. I jump and dodge over bushes and thorns, not feeling any pain. 

My eyes are frantic, searching for a solution to my escape. I whip my body behind a giant oak tree, and look upwards, the moonlight shining faintly through the branches. A light bulb goes off in my head.

Trees, I know how to climb trees.

I run farther into the woods, branches whipping at my cheeks, arms, and legs. Staying hidden would be my best option. I stop momentarily, ears alert for the sounds of the men and their dogs. Instead I hear the sound of running water.

I almost let out a shriek of happiness, but run forward to the sound of the stream. I nearly die of happiness as I step through it, my feet sinking into the mud beneath it. I splash around for a few moments, thankful that dogs can't track a persons scent through water. (A/N this might be a myth but roll with it)