4

When I wake, all that remains is a dull ache throughout my body, though I feel significantly better. I'm still on the lab table, though a blanket has been draped over me, and a pillow placed under my head. I shiver and pull the blanket closer. Across from me, Shuri is passed out at her desk, T'Challa asleep in a chair beside her.

"You're finally awake," the voice of Queen Mother Ramonda says softly.

Startled, I try to sit up, but she gently pushes me back down as the other two stir.

"You had us all worried, Ms. Barnes," she tells me seriously. "But I will not overlook the sacrifice you made for Wakanda."

"I didn't do it for Wakanda," I answer, sitting up slowly. "I did it for you. And for T'Challa and Shuri."

"I know," she nods. "Ms. Barnes... Maureen. We have all grown very fond of you, child. I am sure now, that I want to take this risk, if you agree. I want to ask, would you join our family? Would you let me adopt you as my third child?"

I am speechless with shock. T'Challa and Shuri are wide awake now, but they don't say anything. I know, however, that there is only one answer for me.

"Yes," I say. "Yes, I would love that."

Shuri nearly tackles me as she jumps up beside me on the table and hugs me. The queen joins us, pulling T'Challa into the hug, as well. We stay like that for a long time, before hearing someone clear their throat.

"Okoye," Queen Mother Ramonda greets. "Have the Dora Milaje and the elders prepare for the Adoption Ceremony."

"Gladly," Okoye smiles.

"That being decided," Queen Mother Ramonda says, turning a hardened gaze on me, "if you ever do something like that again, I swear to you, you will be grounded until this world comes to an end."

"Yes, ma'am, Queen Mother," I answer.

"Good," she smiles. "Now go get ready."

Shuri takes my hand. "Come, I will help you into traditional dress."

I follow her back to her room, where she has to dig in the back of her closet for awhile before returning with a yellow dress with blue flowers and a matching headscarf. She helps me tie the headscarf, which I never imagined could be so difficult.

Then, we wait for what feels like hours as she tells me how the ceremony should go. Finally, Shuri takes my hand, leading me towards a courtyard. T'Challa joins us on my other side, offering me his arm, which I take nervously.

We walk into the courtyard, where all the elders sit in chairs in a circle. Even the secluded Jabari tribe has sent representatives, though they seem unhappy to be here. In the center, on the concrete, sits Queen Mother Ramonda, and some supplies. T'Challa and Shuri leave me to sit on either side of their mother. I sit across from them, on the other side of the supplies.

Queen Mother Ramonda reaches for my left hand, which I give. She begins a chant in Xosha while holding my hand, and T'Challa and Shuri mimick her words, changing a syllable here and there. As they chant, she begins a beadwork pattern of colorful triangles on my wrist, continuing it down my hand until it wraps around my middle finger.

The chant ends suddenly, and Queen Mother Ramonda stands, gently tugging me to my feet with her. She holds my hand up for all to see.

"These beads," she begins, in English, "represent the love and acceptance this child has found here. She is hereby my child, third in line for the throne of Wakanda. Maureen Janette Barnes, your Wakandan name shall forevermore be Ayana, meaning 'beautiful blossom', for you came to me in the spring and weaved your way into my heart, as I have weaved this bracelet onto your hand. Wear it always, and know you are a part of Wakanda. A part of my family."

As her speech ends, the elders' representatives and the Dora Milaje cheer. The elders themselves, and T'Challa, clap respectfully. But Shuri cheers, hugging me and jumping in circles, forcing me to jump and laugh with her. Queen Mother Ramonda smiles at us, deciding not to call us out on the untraditional behavior.

That night, a huge feast is prepared. The elders of each tribe are invited, but the Jabari retreat back into their mountain homes. After the food has been consumed, along with some wine for the adults, we are able to socialize. I stand with my new brother and sister, as we talk and joke. That is, until we are approached by the elder of the Mining Tribe. T'Challa goes emotionless, and I try to keep my expression pleasant. Shuri, on the other hand, outright glares daggers at the woman.

"Princess Ayana," the woman greets, and it takes a moment for me to realize she means me. Not only do I have a new name, but a new title.

"Yes?" I ask, unsure how to address her.

"I wanted to extend my deepest apologies for the attempt on your life, though I know it does not help," she states. "I hope it eases your mind to know that the perpetrator has been dealt with."

"Yes, thank you," I try to smile.

Shuri tries to say something, but T'Challa covers her mouth, interrupting with, "We expect no further attempts will be made." His eyes, I notice, are narrow and calculating.

"I had nothing to do with it, if that's what you are insinuating, Prince T'Challa," the woman sniffs, seeming offended. "But I will make sure my people know such offences to the royal family will not be tolerated."

"Many thanks, Elder," T'Challa nods, a smile returning to his face.

The woman walks off in a rush, and I realize she's embarrassed. T'Challa finally releases Shuri's mouth, and she spouts off a string of quiet curses, insisting that T'Challa should have let her yell at the elder, no matter what punishment her mother might give.

Once the feast has ended, T'Challa announces that he must leave with Okoye, to find and bring home a woman named Nakia.

"His ex girlfriend," Shuri explains to me.

"Oh, the one who makes you freeze?" I ask him.

"I never freeze," T'Challa assures. "Do not let Shuri fill your head with lies."

Shuri gives me a look that plainly says he's trying to save his pride, and I can't help but laugh.