9

We wait in the jungle the rest of the night. Nakia brings back what she tells us is the last heart-shaped herb, and begins leading us up the cold mountainside. We are all gratefully wrapped in blankets.

"Bucky," I gasp, grabbing Shuri's arm. "If he sees Bucky, he will kill him!"

Shuri shakes her head. "We can't go back now, but try not to worry. I locked the room he is in, so Ross would not find him. Only you and me can enter, now."

I sigh in relief, nodding my thanks.

"Bucky?" Ross asks. "As in James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier?"

"You knew he had to be somewhere," I tell him. "Why did you think I was the only one to escape your prison who came here?"

"Not my prison," Ross defends. He turns to Nakia. "So, where are we going again?"

"We're taking the heart-shaped herb to Jabariland," Nakia answers.

"The heart-shaped herb?" Ross asks. "What is that?"

"It gives whoever takes it heightened abilities," Shuri explains.

"It's what made T'Challa so strong," Nakia finishes.

"Nakia, I don't like this," Queen Mother states. "The herb belongs to us. We may be creating a bigger monster with M'Baku. Nakia, you should take it yourself."

"I am a spy with no army," Nakia answers. "I wouldn't stand a chance."

"We'll go," Queen Mother sighs.

We start to walk again, but are stop as we are suddenly surrounded by Jabari men, chanting and grunting.

"Shuri, Ayana," Queen Mother warns, and I grab Shuri's arm. "Look down."

We do, and the men stop just in front of us. They lead us into their city, and to M'Baku's throne, stamping their spears behind us.

"My son," Queen Mother addresses, "was murdered in ritual combat."

"Were the odds fair?" M'Baku asks.

"Yes, but-" Shuri begins.

"Then it was less of a murderer, and more of a defeat," M'Baku interrupts.

"Do not rub our noses in it!" Shuri exclaims.

"Silence!" M'Baku commands. "I make the pronouncements here, girl."

"Look, uh, Your Highness," Ross says, "the new king is a US-"

M'Baku interrupts with a stern grunt.

"The new king-" Ross tried again, but this time M'Baku and his men take up the grunting.

"You cannot talk!" M'Baku warns Ross. "One more word, and I will feed you to my children."

Ross gulps.

"I'm kidding, we are vegetarians," M'Baku claims, laughing.

"Great Gorilla M'Baku," Nakia says finally, kneeling and presenting the herb, gaining his full attention. "This is why we are here. To offer this to you. An outsider sits on our throne. Only you can help us stop him."

M'Baku stands, a strange expression on his face, and Queen Mother sinks to her knees. The rest of us follow suit, our heads bowed.

"Come with me," M'Baku says.

Ross is the first to stand, and I have to try not to laugh at the absurdity. All that's happening, and he's embarrassed to have bowed?

We follow M'Baku to a cave, where, half buried in the snow, lies T'Challa. Queen Mother gasps loudly.