An Imaginary Friend [Fluff]

Summary:

Ink has an imaginary friend. Error has a secret.

Word Count: 2,174

----

Ink had had an "imaginary" friend since he could remember. The only thing was, Ink didn't believe his friend was imaginary. He had told his parents over and over again that Error was very real, and they had told him over and over again that Error couldn't be real. They never saw Error. They never heard Error. Could Ink touch Error? He admitted that no, he couldn't touch Error, and they accepted this as proof that Error was made up. Fake. Ink knew that wasn't true, so he learned to keep quiet when it came to all things relating to his best friend.

He was in high school now, and a budding artist. He had "real" friends and classmates, and other people who stayed close by. But Error had always been there. And he knew Error was real because Error grew up with him. He had aged from a boy to a teenager just as Ink had done. Anytime Ink asked why he couldn't touch him or why no one else could see him, Error just shrugged and frowned.

"Where are you?" Ink had asked out of the blue one day when they were children. Error had shrugged.

"Stuck."

"That's looking good, Inky." Error commented as he floated behind Ink, looking over his shoulder. It was just the beginning of a watercolor painting, an assignment for class. Ink snorted.

"It's just a sketch." He mumbled, dipping his brush into the jar of water sitting next to the painting.

"A good sketch." Error huffed. "You need to learn to take a compliment."

"Why though? It could be better." Ink frowned at his drawing once again. He hated it. He groaned and pushed the piece of paper away and grabbed another sheet.

Error rolled his eyes and sighed.

"What is it supposed to be about again?" He asked, moving to the opposite side of the desk so that he was facing his friend.

"She said it could be about anything as long as it was something we liked." Ink began sketching once more.

"And you chose the park?" Error arched an eyebrow.

Ink huffed.

"Yes. I did." The frustrated the skeleton got, the harder he pressed his pencil into the paper. Not very good for watercolors. He pushed the second piece of paper aside. He needed to take a break before he ruined every sheet of watercolor paper he had.

"Why? Didn't you scrape your knee on the castle? And didn't that one kid push your face into the gravel?" Error followed Ink as he moved from the desk and to the window.

"While you were laughing the whole time." Ink pouted. The apparition shrugged.

"I made him fall off the jungle gym for it though." Error perched himself on the desk, watching Ink.

"I know..." Ink grumbled as he watched the sun set. It was later than he thought it had been. "But it's where I first met you." He turned around just in time to see the look of surprise on Error's face before it vanished into his normal look of disinterest. Error shrugged.

"Oh, yeah. We did meet there." Error laughed slightly and looked up at the ceiling, avoiding looking at his friend. "You were the first person to actually see me."

"My parents thought I was crazy." Ink laughed. "They still do, actually."

"Probably for more reasons than just me." Error smirked at him.

"No!" Ink quickly reprimanded, then shrugged. "Well, maybe."

"Ink! Dinner's ready!" His dad called from downstairs.