The Project Pt. #1

Written By Me

Jackson's POV

Three weeks later

We were supposed to finished our project by today. The project was to do a report on an animal. You see, I'm not much of an animal guy. When I was a little boy, my dad got me a yellow labor-doodle for my birthday. When the puppy ran out of the cage to greet me, I screamed and ran away. They say dogs are a man's best friend, but they're no friend of mine. No animals are friends of mine. I have no problems with them. I would never hurt them. I just want nothing to do with them.

So, I did my report on humans. Humans are, technically, animals! I studied how humans evolved to build towns and cities. I studied how they fall in love. Humans fall in love like no other mammal on the planet. It is so different, so unique, and so beautiful to fall in love as a human.

I walked into writing camp today feeling proud of myself for finishing the report. When I walk into the room, Mr. Cooper turned around to look at me. His eyes were narrowed as he was biting his lip. He strokes his gray clean cut beard. "Jackson, I need to talk to you."

I can it in his eyes: I'm in trouble. "What is it, sir?"

"Just follow me into my office, boy," he says, stroking his beard so harshly that I'm worried he will pull out some gray hairs.

I walked with him into a little room cut out in the back of computer room. His desk I extremely neat. Everything is put in files in a nice, orderly manner.

"You have a nice office, sir," I complimented, hoping that will get me out of trouble.

"Jackson," he says, sternly, ignoring my compliment, "I told the class to do a report on animals."

"And that is exactly what I did, sir," I said.

"No," he said, again stroking his beard. Does his hand ever get tired of that? "I'm afraid you did your report on humans. Humans are not animals."

My eyes widen in surprise. Did he not know humans are mammals? "Actually, sir, with all due respect, you are wrong. Humans are animals. In fact, they're mammals. I think humans are just as interesting as any other—"

"Stop it!," he yells. My eyes widen even more in shock. "Sorry, I have a bad temper. I know humans are animals, but there are just so many books and movies about humans. It bores me! I do find what you say about human love fascinating, though. Human love truly is unique. And that's why I came up with this next project. I'll have everyone working in partners, and everyone has to write a poem about their partner. I want you to write a poem about how much you love Piper."

"I beg your pardon?," I ask, taken aback.

He grins, making his cheeks full of crinkles. "Oh, come on! Don't act surprised! I see you starring at her like she's a movie star! That's the same way I looked at my wife when I first saw her."

"So, you want everyone to write a love poem about the person who sits next to them?

He laughs, a big bellowing laugh. "No! Everyone else can write normal poems about their partners. Only you two are going to write love poems. I want you to write a love poem to her and her to write a love poem to you."

"Wait...you think she loves me too?" I asked, hardly believing what he was saying.

"Aha! You just admitted you love her!"

"No, I only asked—"

"Say no more," he says, cutting me off. "You can leave my office now."

I walk out, and I walk towards where I sit.

I stop in my tracks, starring at how beautiful Piper looks. Her curly red hair is down, and her face a aglow due to the computer screen.

Do I love her?

Does she love me?