3 | soul's a furnace

_________________

_________________

My soul's a furnace happy with the fire
That burns within - its nature is desire
For Love. My friend, if you don't wish to burn
In that same fire - you have a lot to learn.

- Rumi, The Furnace

__________•__________

Klaus entered the penthouse suite as the elevator closed behind him. He looked around, made his way to the bar and poured himself a drink as his gaze drifted towards the pile of envelopes covering the table.

With a sigh, he sat down as his fingers skimmed through the senders until it stopped at a familiar script, recognizing it immediately. Hurriedly keeping down the glass, he tore off the end and opened the letter inside.

Attended your exhibition in Vienna last week. It was insightful to know your present state of mind, and I was not amused.

No. 5, it was beautiful. I bought it.

Sincerely hope this reaches you.

M. L.

It was a simple note, but it still brought a smile to his face. Even if he hadn't seen her for nine decades, her kindness still shadowed him. Gulping down the rest of his drink, he got up with the note in hand and went to his room.

Stopping in front of a small chest, Klaus carefully lifted the lid and kept the paper inside. It was almost overflowing with its contents.

All of them sent by her; the letters, Christmas presents every year. Shrugging off any hint of emotion gripping his dead heart, he shut the lid and walked away from the room.

____________________

1914
The Compound
New Orleans, Louisiana

She looked up at him as he entered her bedroom in haste making her brows furrow in confusion. The reason must be dwindling his mind for him to barge in like that.

"I want to kill him, I want to kill Elijah," Klaus stated, pacing angrily. He stopped abruptly and looked at her when he got no response, "Do share your opinion, Maeve."

She turned around to stare at him, "What has he done now to warrant such blatant murder threat?"

"He has defied me. Again!" he answered and continued pacing.

"I reckon it is a new development? Him defying you because he is ardently devoted to your cause?" she rolled her eyes.

"You are taking his side?" Klaus growled and then the realisation hit him, "Of course he has told you."