9 | my secret love

___________________

___________________

You are the joy that dances in my breast
My secret love that's hidden from the rest
The miser's coin will sometimes leave the purse,
So you escape and give birth to my verse.

- Rumi, Secret Love

__________•__________

January 1860
Cloverville, Louisiana

"It is drizzling. Grandmother has requested you head inside," her voice came from behind him and Elijah turned to look at Adelia holding an umbrella.

"I believe this is the most interesting thing to happen today," he replied as she walked towards him, taking the Original under the shade.

"I did catch a glimpse of Klaus storming off," she humoured as they started walking along the garden.

"I would not exactly commend him for his patience," his lips twitched when she glanced at him.

"Or people skills," added Adelia as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. He chuckled and heard the footsteps of a chaperone behind them. The witch nodded at her escort who immediately left them alone.

Elijah cleared his throat and smiled. "Should I expect this every time I am to speak to you?" he asked as they trudged beside the lake.

"Father will brandish his rifle if he finds me alone with a gentleman without a chaperone."

"Then I suppose I am indeed very fortunate to visit you in your father's absence," he looked at her and then at the umbrella. "Let me."

Free of holding the umbrella she answered, avoiding his gaze, "An immortal creature scared of a little bullet. Very courageous you are."

"I am more scared for your father," he replied and her brows furrowed in confusion, "of what I'd do to him if he dares shoot me." Elijah chuckled seeing her face.

"You must not say that for my father," she said with a sudden mirth in her eyes, reaching forward to take the umbrella back.

"That is a very brave thing to say to an Original," he reinstated with a smile, stepping closer to her.

"Am I to suddenly presume you do not think of me to be brave?" she asked him with a pout. "I am very brave, Mr. Mikaelson. I once visited the Arlington manor alone at night which is presumed to be haunted and came out alive!"

"I am glad you survived the night," he smirked and manoeuvred his hand so he was holding her wrist this time around, the sudden contact making her eyes go wide.