Prologue

Waves shattered against the shore, soaking the soft sand below. Moonlight shone weakly through the clouds that obstructed the cliffs near the small coastal town.

A trail of footprints interrupted the untouched sand. The soft pitter patter of feet could be heard along the beach. A tall figure stood out from the white sand, a long shadow stretching along the beach. As they lifted their hands and removed their hood, the moonlight illuminated their face.

The man's hair was jet black and cut short, and longer bangs fell over his face. He wore a nervous expression, his dark eyebrows furrowed and eyes serious. The dark orbs found their way up to the ocean, looking out at the vast expanse. A quiet sigh came from the man and he closed his eyes. He reached into the pocket in his jacket. The solemn expression disappeared when he looked down to his closed fist.

Fingers opened to reveal a small, navy blue box with rounded corners. A sliver of a smile appeared on the man's pale face. He opened the box with a small click and closed it immediately, as if to made sure that what was inside was still there.

He lifted his head to look to the moon, and a sparkle shone on his pupils. His lips parted slightly, ready for words to escape his mouth.

"Just one more day," he whispered to himself after a breath, "And it will all be worth it." With another smile, he slid the box back into its place in his pocket. He turned on his heels swiftly, and began to walk back the direction he came. A strong wave crashed against the cliffs, and immediately after another fled onto the beach in front of him. The man's gaze turned to the ocean, which had been quiet only moments before.

A third wave, larger than the last, collided with the sand and soaked the man's feet. One hand reached to the box in his pocket, and he turned to walk farther up the beach away from the waves. Behind him he heard the loud splash of another wave, followed by the clunk of a heavy foot. The man glanced over his shoulder, and a gasp escaped his lips.

The large silhouettes of three creatures unknown to humankind stepped out onto the beach, the moonlight shining on their backs and hiding their faces. The only detail the man could make out was their yellow eyes that glowed in the dark of the night. The middle one lifted a bony hand, pointed to the man. His eyes widened as he turned to run.

"Hunt..." The raspy voice of the middle creature echoed through the quiet night. The two next to it stepped forward with a grunt. After giving the man a moment to run, they sped after him. One clasped his shoulders and dug into his skin with its long, sharp claws, as the other grabbed him by the feet and dragged him back to their leader.

The man's screams could be heard as they echoed into the night.

~ ♆ ~

A boy woke with a start, beads of sweat on his pale forehead. His eyes glanced around the bedroom, heart beating fast. After a moment he heard what woke him in the first place; a muffled scream that he knew belonged to his brother. He gasped and ran out of the room.

As fast as his short legs could take him, he sprinted down the steps of the house and onto the beach. In the dark he could make out footprints. He followed them until he froze at the sight at his feet. In the sand he could tell a grave struggle occurred, and footprints of an unknown creature led into the ocean, the ones of a human having disappeared. Drops of blood trailed to the water, where they were washed away by the waves.

A small gasp escaped the boy's lips. He ran to an object half-buried in the sand, and picked it up lightly. In his hands was a jacket, one he knew well. He brought the soft fabric to his face, hands gripping it tightly. He heard a soft clunk of something hitting the sand. The boy glanced down at it, and brushed his dark bangs out of his face. He picked it up carefully. It was a small, blue box that had a golden latch on one side. The boy opened it and his lips parted. Nestled inside was a golden ring that had a polished white diamond in the center. On either side of the gem were two rounded stones, a perfect cerulean blue with small streaks of silver.

The boy closed the box and carefully slid it into the pocket it was previously in. He hugged the jacket tight and looked out to the vast ocean. A tear fell down his smooth cheek as he whispered in a broken voice.

"...Shiro?"

A/N:

And it's out, finally! This is the second Klance fic I've written, and I hope you all enjoy my twist on the mer au — I know I'm really excited to write it.
If you have any feedback or questions, please don't hesitate to comment! ^-^

~Soni