10: Let Me Help

"Keith?!" Lance ran into his room after transforming and putting clothes on. He froze upon not seeing anyone there.

"Keith?" The mer heard a quiet sobbing coming from beside him. He saw Keith on the floor, hugging his knees and visibly shaking.

"W-what's wrong? What happened?" Lance approached his friend, but Keith didn't look at him or acknowledge his presence. He continued to stare at the wall, as if seeing something that wasn't really there.

"He-he- he's go-one. He's really—" Keith put his hands over his mouth in shock, water filling his eyes. He'd just re-lived the events of his brother's disappearance once again.

"Keith—" Lance sat down, unsure what to do. He didn't even know what was wrong— what could he do to help? Hesitantly, he reached a hand out to rest on Keith's back.

"Stay away from me!" Keith shouted all of a sudden. His pupils were small and his eyes showed distress. His breathing was uneven, a small gasp escaping his lips before he became quiet.

"I'm sorry," he gasped, but he wasn't talking to Lance. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I'm sorry I couldn't save you.

"Keith, please. Let me help," Lance pleaded, though Keith didn't hear him. The mer hesitated for a moment, then shuffled forward and wrapped his arms around the other boy. He could feel his heavy breathing, the inconsistent beating of his heart. Keith gasped and pushed Lance away, feeling like he couldn't breathe and was being restricted by the contact.

"Keith, por favor. Solo quiero ayudarte." Keith still didn't seem to hear Lance though, his thoughts getting too loud over the conscience. He felt like he was having a heart attack, he couldn't breathe. It was the worst nightmare he'd had in a long while.

Lance looked around the room anxiously. He pulled a jacket from off the door handle and wrapped it around Keith. I hope this helps. If not— Lance noticed Keith didn't pull away at his action. He smiled slightly— well, as much as you could in this situation— and scooted closer to the other boy. His eyes were now closed tightly due to the frantic thoughts rushing through his mind. Lance slowly wrapped his arms around Keith. His head now rested against Lance's chest, whose arms went around Keith's back. One hand rested on the back of his neck, the other against his shoulder blade.

The mer felt the unsteady rise and fall of his breath, and the beating of Keith's heart through his own. A warmth pooled from inside him, spreading across Lance's skin and stopping cold at his fingertips.

"Keith..." Lance sighed, whispering into the boy's ear as he drew circles onto his back. "It's okay. You're okay."  Keith continued shaking, a quiet cry escaping his lips. Lance hesitated for a moment, then sang in a shaky breath;

"Hay una tormenta, que no se nota desde fuera— sé por dentro estás en guerra, aunque en las fotos no se ve..." Keith stopped breathing for a moment. Lance's voice pulled him out of the ocean he was drowning in, calmed the angry waves of his mind.

"Si hay una manera de apagar todos tus miedos, voy a buscarla aunque me duela, borrando la tristeza~

"Qué le pasará a tu espejo, que no ve lo que yo veo, para qué quieres cambiar, si eres todo lo que quiero... ay, qué le pasará a tu espejo, que no ve lo que you veo, para qué quieres cambiar...

"Yo quiero ser como tú, que haces brillar las estrellas, con esa risa que a ti te da pena, pero es tan perfecta que quiero quedarme con..."

Lance trailed off, realizing that the person in his arms was no longer shaking. He now felt Keith's steady heartbeat, beating in rhythm to his own.