24: Remember Who I Was

A loud tapping filled the prison. Annoyed glances turned to the mer who was making the sound. Fabian's nervous clicking against the bars of his cell was beginning to annoy the rest of the mers.

Aaravos mumbled angrily. "If you don't stop that right now I'm going to stuff a glow worm up your—"

"How 'bout we try a different approach," Krolia interrupted Aaravos, "Fabian, why are you tapping so much?"

Fabian sighed. "I get anxious waiting here for nothing. I miss my husband too, but that's the same as any day." Lance shuffled onto his side on the uncomfortable ground. He knew how Fabian felt. For the anxious part, not the husband part.

Just then two guards entered the prison. Their faces were half covered by helmets— only their mouths could be seen. They chatted while swimming over to the human's cell.

"I heard he went to the land," one said. Lance lifted a pointed ear in interest.

"I heard Zadok sent him away, that he did something to piss him off." The mer lowered his voice, "Though really, when is the king not pissed about something?"

The first mer snickered. She unlocked the cell with a steel key while the other mer grabbed the human. "Rumor is that he went on the land to get an escaping mer. Is going to kill a human who knows too much."

"Seems about right. Do you think he'll actually be able to do it?"

The last word Lance heard before they left with the human was "Well, Lotor..." The mer froze. Lotor, going to kill a human who "knew too much?" It had to be him.

"I have to get out of here," Lance mumbled. All the other mers looked at him in shock. "I-It's him. The human Lotor's after—" Lance didn't finish before he threw his body into the barred door.

"Lance!" Ignatius warned. "That'll never work."

"He's right," Zethrid spoke up. It was a surprise; she hardly ever spoke to anyone except Ezor. "You need to get the lock first."

"Try this," Ezor said as she handed a thin, twisted stick of iron through the bars to Lance, whose eyes widened.

"Did you have this the whole time? Why didn't you escape?" Lance lifted an eyebrow.

"We have nowhere else to go." Ezor shrugged and shared a glance with Zethrid. Lance nodded with an understanding smile. He jiggled the piece of metal inside the lock until he heard a satisfying click and swung open the cell door.

"Hey, Lance." The mer was too focused on getting away to hear Fabian. He swam towards the door, then paused.

"I promise I'll be back for you guys."

"Wait, Lance," Fabian shouted, "Where are you going?" Krolia gave the mer a look that seemed to say, just let him go.

"I need to save Keith!" Lance yelled behind him before he was gone. All eyes turned to Krolia, who's expression shifted into one of disbelief as she processed what Lance had said.

~ ♆ ~

Keith wore a longing smile when he returned to the beach house. Pidge and Hunk still sat on the floor while Adam was in the fridge searching for what seemed to be something to drink. He looked up to Keith as he came in, wearing a look of disappointment, but in a lighthearted manner.

"Keith, I know you're having a hard time with Shiro and that other mer and all, but would it kill you to buy some decent drinks?" Adam smirked sarcastically and shut the fridge, carrying only a bottle of water. "Also, I think something died in there. It smells awful."