-Chapter Two-

Your POV

It didn't take long for Levi and me to arrive at the crime scene. It was in an alley in a sketchy part of town, no security cameras in sight. For as run down as this part of town looked, I was surprised we didn't get more calls from this area more often. I guess looks could be deceiving.

We both got out of the car and approached the crime scene, sectioned off with the infamous "DO NOT CROSS" yellow tape. Levi lifted the tape for me to go underneath, though he didn't have to lift it very high for the both of us... for obvious reasons. It didn't take us long to see the body of our victim.

The medical examiner was finishing up some notes on the graphic body before us. She was laying down on her side, making the blood pool in front of her primarily. Her legs were in the worst shape compared to the rest of her body: the large arteries were torn out of her body, looking like blood-stained thin strings. If I looked at the corpse long enough, I could see the muscles the killer had to tear through in order to reach them, dark colored fibers drenched with the crimson liquid. Much like Barnes, her throat was slit from ear to ear, and she had a large, dark red blood stain on her shirt with several tears in her shirt.

For some reason, as grotesque as this murder was, I could not take my eyes off the body. It started to feel as if the blood was everywhere... literally, not figuratively. I could feel my heart quicken slightly and a sudden wave of fear take over me. Why was I feeling this? It was just blood, nothing I haven't seen before. My hands were getting mildly shaky, not visible, but they were shuttering nonetheless. I felt as if I was being dragged away from where I was. What was going on?

Levi's familiar voice pierced through straight to me and I quickly removed my focus from the body to him.

"Huh?" I replied, hearing him but not quite catching what he said.

"Can I see you over here for a second?" He inquired gently as he pointed to the corner past the crime scene. I nodded and he led me just to the end of the crime scene, the body now no longer in my view.

"Is everything okay?" Levi asked softly, giving me a concerned expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just zoning out." I said, shrugging off what just happened as if it was nothing. "I'm just tired."

"Are you sure you're okay?" He sounded a little more worried, but I assured him that I was fine. "Okay. If you really are sure. Here, let's get back, okay?" He spoke in a much calmer voice to me as he guided me back to the crime scene.

The medical examiner came up to us, other MEs covering the corpse. "Her name is Midori Wilson: female, twenty-five. She was killed due to blood loss, not the several stab wounds on her torso. Although they could have killed her, they were given to her postmortem. The torn-out arteries and veins were what caused severe blood loss."

"Thank you." I said as I began to look around the crime scene, avoiding staring at the blood near the body. For some reason, every time I glanced at it, I felt uneasy. I shouldn't be though, right? It's blood. Why was it making me uncomfortable now when it never bothered me before?

As I searched around the body, I noticed a strand of hair near the victim. A short, brown hair that was almost invisible if one wasn't looking at it with the right amount of light and with the right angle. I put on my gloves and picked up the strand of hair.

"I found this. It might be a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to check." I said as I put it in an evidence bag and gave it to the medical examiner to bring it with them to the morgue for examination. I continued to look around, having a feeling that near the body I was going to find the same dollar bill as before.