seven

"And... Open."

After what feels like forever, all of a sudden the bandanna is yanked from my head and I am finally able to pry open my eyes.

The first thing I see is Ashton standing in front of me, beaming as always. His slightly tanned skin is illuminated in the golden light surrounding us, outlining each and every one of his features in turn. His hazel eyes are as expressive as ever, this time lit up to match his wide smile and adorable dimples.

I find myself lost under his gaze once again, in the moment that everything is as perfect as it can get. With Ashton, it feels like I can forget my past, stop worrying about the future, and simply live in the moment.

"So? What do you think?" Ashton asks, biting his lip to keep from laughing at my lost expression.

My eyes snap back to his face, waiting eagerly for a response. I glance past him immediately, slightly embarrassed, to instead gaze at everything from high up into the clouds to the white panels on which where we stand.

And I find that it's absolutely beautiful.

Perhaps the least shocking of all is that Ashton wasn't lying when he said I had run into a pole; along the long, glistening banks of sand, every few docks there are telephone poles surrounded by mazes of trees and bushes.

"You think that's pretty? Well, what about now?" Ashton teases, stepping aside and turning around. I follow suit, which causing my heart to completely stop.

In front of me is the most beautiful sunset you'd ever imagine. It's the perfect mixture of every peach, orange, and lemon yellow combination, all blended together gradually to create such a beautiful sight. Below it is possibly even more breathtaking; every wave glistens in the depth of the ocean below and clashing into the sunset, the colors reflecting every which way.

I take it all in, still unable to answer him. It's all so much beauty in one place, all combined into one.

Which perhaps makes the whole experience more thrilling is Ashton, still with that soft little smile on his face, just observing my every reaction to the sight in front of me. After awhile he nudges me once, and I nearly jump off the side of the dock from the shock.

"Ash, it's..." I finally whisper, struggling to find words to describe it. "It's... Beautiful."

"Yeah?" He questions, raising an eyebrow. "Not what you were expecting?"

"No." I answer truthfully, shaking my head in disbelief. "Absolutely not."

"Jesus. Have some faith in me, Nickels." Ashton winks from the edge, nearly making my heart melt. "I know some cool places to go around here."

Ashton then leads me to the very end of the dock and sits, removing his sandals to dangle his legs over the edge.

I follow his example by unlacing my Converse and dangle my bare feet into the depth below. The water barely grazes my toes because the dock is so high, but it's just enough for the refreshing and exhilarating feeling of cold water coming into contact with my skin to register in my brain.

"Wow, it's freezing." I shudder, withdrawing my legs and pulling them closer to my chest.

"You think that's cold?" Ashton raises an eyebrow, his feet grazing the top layer and beyond. It's up to his mid-calves because he's so much taller than me. "Try jumping in."

I immediately widen my eyes. "Jumping in? But... I'm not wearing a bathing suit."

He shrugs, unfazed. "And?"

I clear my throat, confused. "And? What more is there to tell? If I had known, I probably would've brought one."

Ashton groans, gazing out into the distance. "First of all, Nickels, you don't need a bathing suit to go swimming. And, second of all, are you implying that, had I informed you beforehand, you would be wearing a bathing suit right now?"