twelve

A/N: heyy it's chapter twelve of twelve...hAHAHA GET IT ;)

okay ill shut up now happy reading (well maybe idk who knows bc well you'll find out in a min haha)

- A

It's two hours into Ashton's deep slumber when he finally wakes up.

Those two hours are surely pure bliss for him, his dreams being the perfect escape from reality. It's the most peace he's had in awhile, I'm sure.

In the meantime I've just been sitting in the driver's seat, reading my Advanced Chem book and trying to decipher one formula from the other without much luck.

While he's moved on to better and bigger things, I'm stuck here in the harsh reality of equations.

However, while he sleeps and I read, it's perhaps the calmest moment I've ever experienced with Ashton Irwin. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, knowing both the excitement and the storm are yet to come, but for now it's pure, untainted silence.

But that peaceful atmosphere instantly is shattered the moment his hazel eyes resurface, bringing back the spontaneous, always-moving Ashton I know.

It takes a minute for his eyes to focus, but when they finally do, he sits up slightly and yawns.

Then he says only one word: my name.

"Elle."

My gaze meets his and I give him a small smile. "Hey, Ash... How are you feeling?"

"Umm, I... Okay, I guess." He says groggily, in such a clueless tone that nearly makes my heart melt. His gaze moves down to his lap, to the seatbelt clipped there. "Why are we in a parking garage?"

"It's the closest one to my apartment." I shrug, resting my hand on his in an attempt to comfort him. But it doesn't.

In an instant Ashton's already going crazy liberating himself, letting the strap of material snap back to its original place next to the passenger side door. He then struggles with his coat pocket, pulls out his iPhone, and hastily waits for it to turn on.

I simply watch him with curiosity and a little bit of fear, unsure of what to do or say. He's acting weird, that's a given, but why is the real question.

Quickly losing his patience, Ashton turns his attention back to me and roughly asks, "Elle, what time is it?"

"It's... Six-ten." I reply slowly, noting his change of expression and strange attitude. I'd already predicted a moody, hungover Ashton, just not this... Aggressive. "Why?"

"What?" Ashton seems frazzled, now wide awake. "No, it can't be. How long was I asleep for?"

"Uh..." I hesitate, still unsure of what's going on. "Two hours? Maybe three?"

"Oh." He replies slowly, then his gaze hardens. "Wait. I-I can't be here, I have to be--"

I interject quickly, seeing as this is the only way to get his attention. "If this is about your shift, it's okay. Luke--"

"No, no... It isn't." Ashton mutters under his breath, his voice barely audible. "It's just--fuck. I need to get out of here."

I shake my head, still mildly confused. "What? Why?"

But he's not listening to me. Instead he fiddles with the car door handles, trying to break free. "I. Have. To. Get. Out. Of. Here."

"Ashton, stop." I suddenly grab his wrist, he freezes in his tracks. "What's going on?"