Chapter 26- Alone

(This is what I have come up with. I was tired writing this, so if you see any mistakes...lemme know.)

David and Nathan were sitting together in slightly awkward silence.

How did they end up that way?

You could ask Jeanie Katz.

Jeanie would say that she was just overwhelmed by the fact that supernatural beings existed, and that she needed a breath of fresh air. That the reason she excused herself from the room was to get a grip on reality, after that intense explanation she had just received from Nathan.

But really, she couldn't be more accepting of the idea that crazy people-eating people roamed the earth. That not only vampires, but werewolves also walked on the same ground as the humans. It was hard to register, but after witnessing the return of Sarah, it wasn't unbelievable.

Nope. The real reason why she left the room because she saw a perfect opportunity to leave Nathan with David- alone. Nathan had spent his time playing matchmaker. Now, it was her time to make a match for him.

Yeah yeah. She could wait until Nathan happened to stumble upon his soulmate, but until that happened, she didn't want the poor idiot to be all alone. Especially when David's crush on him was so obvious, and Nathan's denial was too apparent. She could definitely see a perfect match.

She secretly hoped that they would end up as soulmates, though she wasn't sure how old David was. If David was not yet twenty-one, the pale boy could still find his soulmate on his twenty-first birthday.

Anyways, here David and Nathan were, sitting on the same couch, wondering what to do. Jeanie had left. They were alone.

" So," started Nathan, " What do you think our best friends are up to?" 

David blushed, perhaps because Nathan was talking to him, and shrugged. Nathan looked over at David and his red cheeks. The kid was super shy to be a guardian of the forest, but the king found that extremely cute. He thought it was lucky for whoever ended up with David as a soulmate. 

"I don't know," David said quietly, not looking back at Nathan. He knew if he looked at the king, he wouldn't be able to contain his blush. David felt those beautiful, ocean-blue eyes concentrate on him, and it made him squirm.

"Why do you bush so much?" Nathan smiled kindly, "There's nothing to be shy about."

For some reason, that made David blush even more.

"I don't know," David repeated, "I'm sorry..."

Nathan's smile grew, "You don't have to say sorry either. You did nothing wrong."

"Sorr-" David started and then stopped abruptly, "I mean- nevermind."

David heard a distant grunt in his mind, his wordless Leshy side, who was obviously saying:  How stupid can you be?

The two men sat in silence. I wasn't really uncomfortable, just a little awkward, seeing as neither of them had anything to say. David sat, twiddling his thumbs with nervousness, eyes downcasted. Nathan sat, staring at him, with seemingly no shame. The king looked at David as if he was trying to figure the boy out. Just watching him sitting there so awkwardly made Nathan yearn to see what was going on inside his head.

Then, Nathan had a stupid idea.

"So," Nathan asked, "Got any crushes? Maybe a girlfriend?"

"I have one," David murmured, his calmed blush firing up once more, "-Crush, that is! One crush."

Nathan had a suspicion on who it was, but he continued.

"Oh really? That's cute!" Nathan said, "Who is it?"