Chapter 31- Secrets Revealed

(Sorry for no update! I wanted to update sooner but there is a flu plague spreading in my area and everyone's getting sick from it, including me. But, now I am flu-free. ALSOOOOO I had like 1,000 words written down until I re-read it...and IT WAS SO CLICHE AND CHEESY I HAD TO DELETE IT ALL. SO. Here you go!  ALSO: this chapter contains some information, so if you need more of an explanation, just contact me somehow or comment.)

Malia's hands were still in her lap, folded over each other. Her lazy glance roamed around the room full of books on dusty shelves. She noted the guard standing behind her- far enough to not eavesdrop, but close enough to stop her if she tried anything. Silence hung in the air, before she allowed her gaze to land into her son's eyes. He was angry, she could tell, but he was more curious than anything. He yearned for answers that she had kept. And although she was nervous to lose the trust and love from her son, she kept composed. Because if there was one thing she was familiar with, it was the truth.

Now, it was only right for her to speak it.

When she entered the room, it was not a good encounter. It hurt her nurturing, motherly side to see her son look at her with sad and rageful eyes. However, as a wolf, she kept her cool, stated her business, and caught her son's curiosity. She brought a chair over and sat, and now that she had started, she didn't know where to begin.

No one spoke at first, in that silence. No one dared to break the tension slowly building up in the air. 

She observed her son and his mate, who were sitting side by side, hand in hand. It seemed their bond had strengthened since they last encountered. Her mind rested knowing that her son was in good hands, but it was still a turmoil of what to say first, how to say it, and when to begin.

"So?" her son's voice was like a pin dropping in a quiet classroom- no, it was like an alarm clock disrupting a peaceful sleep, "You said you wanted to talk...why?"

He was nervous, she could tell. After all, he is her son. She raised him to be the perfect man he was in this moment- holding his partner's hand protectively and dominating the room with his alpha-like aura. It didn't affect her though. It merely reminded her of her husband- and how he's gone.

She still didn't know what to start with, but her mouth was already open. She might as well say something...

"I...Jake... there is a war coming," was all she said. Her voice was not as calm as her appearance. Her mind was jumbled, the words she was forming were incomprehensible to her own brain. If only she could figure out a way to tell them both without retaliation.

"With the Aswangs?" Jake asked calmly, but a little snappy, "Yeah, I assumed."

"They want you, Jake. You are the successor of the Shifters- they are after you to get to the throne," she said, her breaths coming out pained. It wasn't because of what she just said; it was because of what she was soon to reveal. 

"Oh..." her son replied, "Okay. So, they will try to kill me?-"

"Don't worry, Mrs. Pierce," Derrick's attitude kicked in. If his soulmate was mad at someone, he felt the need to be mad at them too. "Jake will be perfectly safe in our hands without your help. We humans will fight in a war against them if we have to, but I would like for you to leave for now."

"I-"

"You are making my soulmate uncomfortable and angrier with every second," Derrick interrupted, "If you do not intend to answer his questions- I can not sit and let you hurt him emotionally. You must leave immediately, even if you are his mother."

Malia turned to Jake, wondering whose side he was on, but when she saw the loved-up expression on his face, she knew she had lost his sympathy. 

Jake was just in awe that Derrick was standing up for him like that. Jake always knew that Derrick's snappy attitude was part of his personality, but he did not think it could reach this amount of bitterness.