Epilogue

Nathan searched the hallway for a specific best friend of his. He had a small box tightly in his hand, as to not drop it. He rounded a corner and down some stairs until he was met with the damp atmosphere of the cleaning chambers. He made it through the maze of laundry, past multiple maids, and he avoided the large tubs of collected water. He spotted a head of brown, choppy short hair and quickly made his way over to the girl with the tattoos.

"Hey, Jeanie," Nathan said, smiling a happy bright smile.

"Hello, your majesty," Jeanie said sarcastically, "When are you leaving? I hope soon." The girl was talking about his return to his kingdom. Jeanie said it with the same sarcastic tone, but a twitch in her expression made her look as if she wasn't as happy about it on the inside.

"Aww, you are going to miss me? So sweet," Nathan teased, "Don't worry, I'll keep in touch. And, for your information, I'm leaving tomorrow BUT  a little birdy told me that your wedding is this evening. Can't miss that, can I?"

"I didn't invite you," Jeanie huffed, "Actually, I didn't invite anybody. She and I don't have much family, so we're keeping it one-on-one. No people unless it's a priest, and he's only there because he's necessary."

"At least tell me I get to see you in a wedding dress," Nathan smiled, but Jeanie pursed her lip and threw some dirty clothes from one bin to a tub. "No! Nononono- Don't tell- DO NOT TELL ME you're not even wearing a dress?!"

"Can't afford one," Jeanie sighed, "I'm not royalty, remember?"

"So you mean to tell me," Nathan started, "That you are not having anybody at your wedding, no dresses, and no rings?! What kind of wedding is that?!"

"A cheap one," Jeanie said, rolling her eyes.

"No, that's a freaking depressing one, if you ask me," Nathan huffed, "I can't stand it. I want you to have the best wedding ever."

Jeanie was not smiling, but she wasn't frowning...it was more like a sad, distant look.

"...which is why," Jeanie looked up at Nathan to see him displaying the small box he brought, "That, even if I can't throw you the greatest wedding day ever, I could at least give you these."

Nathan held out the box, and Jeanie took it, looking at it skeptically. She hesitantly took it in her hands, and slowly lifted the lid to the box.

Inside, on a small cushion, lay two rings: one plain, like a simple wedding band, and another sparking with diamonds. They were simple, nothing extravagant, but still beautifully feminine without being extreme.

Jeanie's mouth was wide open.

"I-Where did you get these?!" Jeanie asked, looking back up at Nathan with wide eyes.

"Let's just say I know a guy," Nathan smiled, "Do you like them? I thought they were subtle but pretty- perfect for the Queen of Tattoos and Lesbians and her mistress, don't cha think?"

Jeanie gave Nathan a one-armed hug, careful not to drop the rings from the box,  and smiled.

"Thanks, idiot," Jeanie said, before pulling back, "I mean, really, thanks. This means a lot to me...and my fiance."

"Speaking of which, why haven't I met her yet?" Nathan said, "I mean, we've been best friends for what? A month? I should at least know who this mysterious 'fiance' is."

"For your information, her name is Iris Grace," Jeanie said, her voice getting a little lovey-dovey when she said her lover's name, " And she is a sweetheart with a killer pain tolerance."