Part 2

Steve

I was excited to move into this city. A new place, new work, new people, away from the mess back home, if that could be even called home now.

After my mother's death and my breakup with Sharon, I decided it was best to leave town and start fresh. The city was haunting me with memories. My best friend Sam arranged for my move. He had moved a few months earlier and made way for me too.

History was my favorite subject and I majored in it. Teaching was a hobby that became a career. I love kids and I love sharing knowledge.

I stare at my new class. Fresh ninth graders, enthusiastic as I was. I scanned the faces and asked them to introduce themselves. One by one, they stood up and spoke their details. I tried to memorize their names with faces. Until one boy stood up and I was shocked for life.

"James Romanoff," he said, and my mouth opened a little. That little kid resembled me in a lot of ways. He reminded me of my days as a teenager. Apart from the color of his hair, he looked mostly like me. It was heavily weird, considering I had no relatives here.

All the kids were now looking at me and him both, everyone clear on the looks that looked quite alike.

I did not want to embarrass him, so I let him sit and then proceeded with the lecture. The kids were too silent and attentive and I couldn't be more gracious.

After the class ended, I walked up to the staff room. No other class for now so decided to make some new friends. The staff room was mostly empty, except for a single female, with red hair, tied in a right bun. She had her back to me, and her physique in that light gray pencil skirt reminded me of another redhead I once knew.

"Hello," I said, trying to get her attention, " I am Steve Rogers, the new history professor".

She turned and I almost forgot to breathe. She was the redhead I once knew. My friend, my classmate, and well.

"Nat?" I managed to speak, "Natasha?"

"Steve" she smiled, " So long" she was nervous, too nervous. She was rubbing her hands and then adjusting her glasses.

"Oh my God!! Natasha, it's really you" I said, moving forward to pull her into my arms and hug her.

"Yeah, Steve," she said against my chest.

"But, you" I backed off, still holding her arms, "Why did you disappear? I mean, nobody knew where you were and, you never showed up at reunions and oh my gosh, you are a professor? seriously? We never thought, I mean you were top of our class, I thought you'll be a physician or a CEO or a top class lawyer"

"I..I love teaching" she replied, "It's good to see you after so long, Steve".

We were still staring at each other when we heard someone.

"Mom!!!" We heard a scream, "Mom, you'll never believe what I" he stopped mid-sentence as he watched us standing so close. It was James, the little guy from class. Mom? Was he referring to Natasha? But how?

"Uhm, sorry, professor," he said lowering his head.

"James, we are at school. I am not your mom, here " Natasha stepped out and said.

She was actually his mother. Mother to the guy who looks like me. And he must be fourteen, and she was my age and if she had.. She had to be pregnant when we graduated, or soon after...And if she.

Realization dawned upon me, was it? Oh God, oh my God!!

"James, go back to class. We'll talk after class" Natasha said, and he left. She turned to face me again, "Uhm, Steve, I have to go and report to the principal. See you later, bye "

She rushed away, leaving me shocked for life.

I remember that night well. The night I lost my virginity, the first night of pleasure and passion. But I never thought, not in my wildest dreams that, that Natasha would get pregnant. I didn't have a condom but she should have been on the pill or used an emergency one. But she didn't and she had my son and she never ever tried to contact me or tell me. For fourteen years, I didn't even know I had a son.

I need to ask her so many questions and I want to know my son. But what if she's married now, or dating someone. But I can still be with my son, for sure. I am his biological dad after all.

It was so overwhelming. I had a fourteen years old son and I love kids but he isn't a kid, he's a teen and teens are difficult and I am freaking out. And I don't know what to do next.

So, I did what I do when I freak out and take out my phone and dial the number that always knows how to comfort me.

"Hey, I thought you'll be busy at work" Sam said answering the phone on the first ring.

"Sam, you won't believe what just happened. You remember Natasha, the most beautiful and amazing girl from high school" I said, panting.

"Yeah, the one who got our simple Stevie dirty" Sam teased, " What about her? You met her?"

"Sam, she works here and..." I took a deep breath,"She has a son, and he is fourteen and he looks exactly like me"

"What?!!" Sam was as shocked as I imagined him to be,"You mean?"

"Yes, Sam. I have a fourteen year old son that I just found out about and I don't know what to do" I said.

"Hang on brother, I am coming for you" Sam assured me. And I took a seat trying to catch my breath.

*******
They met, they know
Do give your reviews😝