Chapter 4: The Slaver's Son

The feeling of being hunted grew more overwhelming with each passing moment, until it was like a damp cloth stifling the air from my lungs. The sounds of our pursuers persisted, yet they still did not attack. Whether they were waiting for a more opportune moment or something else, I did not know. What I did know was that we had to evade them somehow.

Uirion continued to ride at my side, scanning the trees for any visual confirmation of our hunters. For the moment, at least, any antagonistic feelings he had were gone, and he was intent only on preventing an ambush from our mutual foe.

"We need to find open ground," He stated, his voice barely above a gruff whisper. "If they're not willing to attack us now, they won't likely reveal themselves then either."

An arrow whizzed by just inches from his head at that moment, eliciting a cry of surprise from several members of the party. Two more arrows followed, both narrowly missing us.

"Follow me!" I exclaimed, spurring my steed into a gallop. "Hyah!"

Riders burst from the treeline, lightly armored with faces concealed by scarlet cloths. Their horses were well-muscled with long supple legs, bred for long distance riding. I knew that my courser could easily outrun them for a short distance, but she would tire quickly. We needed to lose them quickly.

One of the riders had outdistanced the others, a lance in hand as he swiftly gained on us.

Thorondir spun around, noticing that the rider was nearly upon him. In one smooth motion he unstrapped his bow from his saddle, fitting an arrow to the string. The enemy rider barely had time to react before a white-feathered arrow transfixed his chest, unseating him from his steed.

The archer gave a triumphant shout as he reached for another arrow, daring the others to come closer.

They seemed leery to, instead riding just out of bowshot but continuing to pursue us.

"I have an idea!" Thorondir exclaimed, his breathing labored from effort.

"I'll take just about anything right now!" I replied, casting a furtive look back at our enemy.

"It's going to sound preposterous..." He began.

I rolled my eyes. "Just tell me! We don't have time!"

"We could ditch the horses when we lose sight of the enemy," He explained, his words choppy to the movement of his steed.

I let out a snort. "How?? Jumping from a galloping horse isn't exactly my idea of a good plan!"

A javelin whizzed by, barely missing us. I turned to see another rider gaining on us, but he was dressed differently than the other riders. The skin of some exotic striped beast hung from his shoulders, and his uncovered face was painted in an array of bright colors. His eyes were wide with an animalistic hunger, wild and unpredictable. He looked... inhuman somehow, like a wolf seeking to devour his prey. I felt a shiver run down my spine at the sight of him, and I urged my steed on to greater speed.

I noticed Uirion had advanced to the head of our group, his expression suddenly one of fear. What had caused his demeanor to change I did not know, but if he was afraid then something was surely amiss.

"Uirion!" I shouted over the thunder of hooves. "Did you hear Thorondir?"

He nodded grimly, pointing ahead to a river that we were quickly bearing down upon. "There!"

My eyes widened as I realized what he was proposing... But the image of the wild skin-clad rider made me almost immediately dismiss my qualms about the plan. I gave him a curt nod and pulled my feet from the stirrups, readying myself to leap.