Chapter 10: A Twisted Countenance

"Stop fussing," Ohtar grunted as Aerel attempted to make him more comfortable. "You all need to flee now, there's little time." 

Aerel looked to me for confirmation and I gave a slight nod, indicating that the time to say farewell to our friend had come. After the shriek that had come from just outside, I wasn't willing to wait around any longer. 

"You've been a steadfast companion," she said with a forlorn smile, pressing a kiss to the large man's brow. "Eru will look upon you with favor in the next world." 

"I hope so," he grunted, letting out a short laugh. "And I'll be sure to put in a good word for you! After all, if it weren't for your constant proselytizing I wouldn't even believe in the possibility of his existence." 

I let the others say farewell before I came to his side. He grasped my forearm, his grip surprisingly strong despite his weakened state. "Take care of the others, captain," he said, suddenly serious. Lowering his voice, the burly highwayman pulled me closer. "I know not what the future holds, but if this darkness remains, they will need a strong leader." 

"I shall do my best," I reassured him, grasping his own forearm in farewell. 

"Now go, quickly! I'll hold the line from here." He pushed me gently away, reaching for the longsword at his side. As we reached the door, he smiled, nodding at us as if to assure us. I'll be alright. I fought back the wave of emotions that hit me then, instead focusing on ushering the others from the cottage. With a final nod of gratitude and brotherhood, I turned away from my stalwart soldier, never again to see him in the land of the living.

=======================

A little over an hour passed before we halted. The first light of dawn was just beginning to peek through the woodland, but it was a hazy, uncertain dawn, grim and greyish and altogether absent of the warm tingle of sunlight. A light mist covered the damp ground in a veil of mystery, though were it to reveal its secrets it would likely only uncover the remnants of shadow and war. 

Thus far, no sign of our hunter had manifested itself. Whether Ohtar had stopped him, or he had simply lost interest, I did not know. But the thought of Ohtar protecting us as we retreated deeper into the forest filled me with a sense of reassurance.

Uirion and Miriel were still with us, her infant child asleep in her arms. I had deemed it too dangerous for them to continue into the forest by themselves, for by now the Enemy were likely surrounding it in their efforts to move through eastern Osgiliath into Gondorian territory. 

"We should part soon," Uirion said finally as we reached a small dirt crossroad. It wound away to the north, likely meeting the Anduin further down its curving paths. I studied the area before responding, attempting to filter the exhaustion from my voice. 

"Agreed. Much further and we'll be close enough to Osgiliath to throw rocks at it. By what path do you intend on traveling?" 

Uirion clenched and unclenched his fists several times. "The north road is no longer safe. I think it wise that we avoid roads altogether, at least until we leave Gondor proper. From there we can make for the mountains. I'm unfamiliar with the lands of the Woodsmen, though." At this, he cast an uncertain glance toward Miriel, who took a step forward.

"I know the way," she said confidently. "The woodsmen have many hidden paths that we might tread. My cousins, if they have no troubles of their own, will already be out searching for me." 

"Are you certain that this is the best idea?" I questioned. "We do not know what violence the woodsmen might be enduring. And so close to Dol Guldur? It just seems dangerous."