xxiii.

Jin shooed them all away after dinner. "I'll clean up, you guys get settled in, okay?"

"Thanks Jin," Jungkook said with a grin. (He hadn't wanted to help anyway.)

Tae had started walking back to his room when he felt a tug on his sleeve. "Yeah?" he asked, turning to see Jimin staring at him expectantly. He opened his mouth, hesitating, before swallowing. "Did you need something?"

"You've got a driver's license right?" Jimin asked, tilting his head slightly.

"Well, yeah, but it's sort of useless without a c-"

"Yoongi's got one. Let's go," Jimin said, turning to the shelf above the shoes and grabbing a pair of keys. He tossed them to Tae, who fumbled with them for a second before sliding them into his pocket.

"Um, where...where are we going?"

"You'll see," Jimin said, already out the door.

Tae hesitated a second, looking back at Jin and debating volunteering to wash dishes to get out of whatever this was, before sighing and following Jimin out.

He was standing next to the passenger door, shivering slightly in the chill evening air. Tae quickly fished the keys out of his pocket and unlocked the car, watching Jimin get in and shut his door before Tae did the same.

"Does Yoongi know we're borrowing his car?" Tae asked hesitantly, turning the key and starting the engine. Heat blasted out of the vents, filling the air with a dense blanket of white noise, and he turned them off. The car fell nearly silent.

"No, but I'm sure he won't mind," Jimin said, looking out the window. "Jin's got a car and so does Dad. We won't be gone long, anyway."

"Where are we going?"

"I'll give you directions."

Tae pursed his lips but threw the car into reverse, craning his neck and putting a hand behind Jimin's headrest as he backed the car out of the driveway.

"Take a left at the stop sign," Jimin instructed.

"Where are we going?" Tae asked for the third time, bringing the car to a smooth stop before turning the wheel as he gave it a little gas.

"Take a right."

***

"Stop here."

"Where the frick are we?" Taehyung asked, frowning at the dark street. There were no streetlights to illuminate the area, but from what he could tell, they were in a quiet neighborhood a bit removed from the town, most likely in an unincorporated area.

Jimin didn't answer, just stepped out of the car, shutting his door, and started walking.

"Hey, wait-" Tae scrambled out of the car, leaning back in to grab the keys and shut off the headlights so the battery didn't die. Then he shut his door, locking the car as he chased after Jimin. "Jimin-"

Jimin had his hands in his pocket. He'd crossed the street and was now strolling up a driveway. Tae caught up to him just as he approached the door.

"Jimin, what are we doing here?" Tae whispered, his eyes flicking toward the window to check if the lights were on. "It doesn't even look like anybody's home."

"They're not," Jimin confirmed. He rummaged in his pockets before pulling out something that glinted in the moonlight. He stepped up to the door and slid the key in the lock.

"Jimin!" Tae said, still fighting to keep his voice down. "That's breaking and entering! What's going on?"

Jimin ignored Tae's protests, turning the key and giving the door a small push. It creaked open, key still in the lock, revealing a dark house. Jimin stepped up to the lock and removed the key, slipping it back into his pocket before stepping further into the house. Already, Tae was struggling to make out his silhouette.