xliii.

40:22:19

-

"I need to talk to Yoongi and Jin," Lee mused, running a hand through his bangs. "If Jin's innocent, he should have no one left to cover for, unless he and Yoongi got mixed up in something together, but I didn't getting the feeling." Lee rubbed the back of his head. "I think I'll deal with Jin first. Yoongi might take some work. If I can at least eliminate Jin, I'll be half-successful."

"Am I joining you for this one?" Lisa asked, her mind focused on the half-finished interview that she had yet to complete.

"I think that would be a good idea," Lee said. "We want to show him that we believe in his innocence, so I think your presence could only help."

"All right," Lisa agreed, getting up from her chair. "Back to Jin, then."

***

"We know about the call you received from Hoseok," Lee stated straightaway. "We have a copy of the voicemail, and Wonpil came in to establish Hoseok's alibi, so you don't need to cover for him or Jungkook and Taehyung anymore."

Jin frowned. "Wonpil came in? What did he say?"

"Hoseok didn't tell you?" Lee asked with a return frown.

"No, I just got the voicemail and assumed him did something bad," Jin replied, scratching the back of his neck. "But you said he's all clear?"

Lee nodded, trying to decide whether it was his responsibility to inform Jin that his younger brother had almost attempted an overdose, or whether that information was private, as Wonpil had suggested. In the end, he decided to leave it at "He had a medical emergency. He's lucky that Wonpil was there. But he didn't break any laws, nor is he in question for anything related to our investigation. So would you mind giving me your alibi now?"

"What about Jimin? And Yoongi?"

Lee sighed. "I already talked to Jimin, and I'll be speaking with Yoongi after I finish up with you. We're still waiting on an evidence report for Yoongi's car, but Jimin's already given a statement. Were you planning on covering for all of your brothers?"

Jin squished his face up. "They're my little brothers. How could I do anything else?"

Lee massaged his temple. "Look, Jin. They can all take care of themselves. And do you really think any of them would be happy if they found out that you went to prison for them?"

Jin's mouth twitched but he didn't respond.

"What were you doing last night?" Lee asked.

Jin stared at Lee before shrugging and leaning back in his chair. "Nothing, really."

"Jin-"

"No, literally. I gave Jungkook and Tae a ride - Jungkook said they were going to his friend's house, he didn't tell me it was a party or I never would have driven them, okay - and then I was driving around for a bit and I got a call from Hobi on the way back so I pulled into a parking lot and heard the voice mail, only then I got a call from Jungkook saying I needed to pick them up immediately, so I drove back to grab them and when I went to drop them off at home, Hobi was already there."

"So...you spent the whole night as a driving service for your brothers?"

Jin sighed. "Pretty much. And they didn't pay me at all. Can you believe that?" Jin thought back over the night. "I think I stopped at some point to grab a quick bite with my friend on the way back from dropping the kids off, before I got Hobi's call. But other than that, I was just driving."

"Who was this friend?" Lee asked for clarification.

"Lee Jooheon," Jin answered. "He lives in the area. We met up for dinner around 7:30 ish, but he left to go pick his dad up from work. Then I got back in my car to head home, only I got a call from Hobi, so I pulled over, and then I got a call from Kook, so I had to drive back to pick them up, and then I drove them back home. That's the full story."

"All right," Lee said, feeling as though an immense amount of time had been wasted over a simple story. "We'll check the details and release you as soon as everything is verified."

"Are you releasing the others soon too?" Jin asked, looking up with a hopeful expression.

"Hoseok, yes," Lee answered, gathering his papers. "We just have to make a few more calls. Provided that everything checks out, you two should be able to go home together within the hour."

"What about Jimin and Yoongi?"

"We still need to get an official statement from Yoongi," Lee said. "And a report on his car. As for Jimin, there's just a few last things I'd like to discuss with him." Like appointing a professional psychologist to work with him. Lee was afraid that if he just let Jimin go, Jimin would return to visit Song Eungi in the future and only further the psychological harm that had been done to him. "Thank you, Jin," Lee said, tipping his head forward respectfully, and Jin returned the gesture.

Lee exited the room, Lisa following him.

Lisa gave him a bright smile. "That's another one you can cross off the list, right?"

Lee nodded before pressing at his temples once more. "Now on to Yoongi. I can't imagine it will go as smoothly, but here's to hoping."