Part 5: Scott

"Explain it to me again," Liam's tone was flat, his words measured.

"We were doing a flush of the energy cells this morning, as I'd explained during your inspection."  Ticker took a deep breath.  He'd explained it all twice already.  "We were cycling the turbines and reinjecting the plasma gel when the attack occurred.  The armor plating failed above the turbines responsible for the east wing, and we lost the the entire eastern power grid.  Deflectors, atmospheric shields, artificial gravity, power... they all collapsed like dominoes."

"Why weren't we prepared for this, Ticker?"

"We took the standard precautions.  We did everything we could with the materials at hand, and then some."

"Then what the Shkshk just happened, old man?" Scott growled.  He looked up from the floor.  He was seething, and struggling to keep his emotions in check.

"You listen here, kitten.  I won't be spoken to like that by anyone, regardless of who their father was!"

Scott jumped to his feet, and bounded over the round table in the council chamber.  He grabbed for the old canamarian, but the grey furred man was far more spry than he appeared.  Ticker rose to meet his charge, ducking under Scott's grasping claws and taking him around the waist.  They fell to the ground in a heap.  Scott swiped at the old man's face, but Ticker kept his head pressed against Scott's chest.  The inability to hit his mark merely fueled Scott's rage.  He clawed at the massive arms crushing his sides, and forcing the air out of his lungs.  The sounds of shouting council members were being drowned out by the blood rushing through his ears.  Scott roared, and reached for the black band on his arm which would send him into war mode and end the fight.

An arm went around his neck and pulled him back in a headlock.  He raised his hand to strike his new foe, and someone tried to wrench his arm behind his back.  Two more jumped on him and soon he was being wrestled down.  Rational thought had fled.  All that was left was the need to fight.  Ticker released his grip and enough air returned for Scott to shout.

"When you interrupt The Ancient Grudge you make yourself an enemy of both Tooth and Claw!"

"This isn't The Ancient Grudge, you idiot!"  Liam said into Scott's ear.  "This is you being dramatic and going berserk."

"Get off me," Scott demanded.  He worked a hand beneath himself and pushed off the ground.  His strength was returning quickly.

"I can't hold him," Undeen yelled.

He shook his other arm free from her grip and clawed at the man on his back.

"Let him go before more people are injured."  As always Liam was shouting out orders, to Scott's annoyance.

The weight on him eased until there was only Liam's arms locked around his neck.  Scott looked at his black band, but enough sense had returned to keep him from triggering the change.  Undeen and the other men retreated back to the far wall where Dr. Ho examined the wounds across Ticker's forearms.  The old canimarian was tougher and braver than he looked.   The glances everyone casted his way made Scott feel like a fool.  He threw an elbow back, the connecting blow was met by a satisfying grunt.

"We don't have time for this, you big fur ball."

"Get off!"

Liam pushed off, causing Scott to fall to his knee.

"Stay down," Liam ordered.  He spit out a mouthful of blood.  "I'll put you down If you make me.  There are people depending on us.  This isn't gonna happen."

Scott turned a baleful look on the only other person on the station who could understand how he was feeling.  They stared at each other for a time, Liam's tired expression sapping Scott's anger.  Without his rage Scott's grief flooded the void inside of him.  His mind went to his sister whom he had failed to protect.  His eyes burned, but he stubbornly refused to acknowledge them.